Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives New Cage Plan! Loft Ramp Placement?

Eltuine

Cavy Slave
I've had my pair of piggies (Percy and Penelope) for just over a year now, living in a 2x4 C&C cage. I want to give them a bigger, better (more aesthetically pleasing and easy to clean for me) home! With the assistance of a construction-minded family member, I'm going to be building a cage on top of an Ikea desk (the biggest sized Linnmon, if anyone is wondering) with a loft. The basic plan is this (pictures are not to scale!):

Guinea Pig Cage Design 2018 bigger.jpg

Three sides of the base will be 6.5 inches tall, with grids on the outside. The back will be almost 2 feet tall, to accommodate the loft, which will have 8-inch walls on the front and sides. The loft will be held up inside by two 7.5 inch metal poles, and be screwed into the back. I'm very excited about my new project, but also had a question; should the ramp be left in the middle of the loft, or should I put it to one side? I'm not sure if this will make any difference for Percy and Penelope, but if it will, I'd like to know.

Thank you in advance!

Wheekling

Cavy Gazer
I've had my pair of piggies (Percy and Penelope) for just over a year now, living in a 2x4 C&C cage. I want to give them a bigger, better (more aesthetically pleasing and easy to clean for me) home! With the assistance of a construction-minded family member, I'm going to be building a cage on top of an Ikea desk (the biggest sized Linnmon, if anyone is wondering) with a loft. The basic plan is this (pictures are not to scale!):

View attachment 84084

Three sides of the base will be 6.5 inches tall, with grids on the outside. The back will be almost 2 feet tall, to accommodate the loft, which will have 8-inch walls on the front and sides. The loft will be held up inside by two 7.5 inch metal poles, and be screwed into the back. I'm very excited about my new project, but also had a question; should the ramp be left in the middle of the loft, or should I put it to one side? I'm not sure if this will make any difference for Percy and Penelope, but if it will, I'd like to know.

Thank you in advance!

Hi there! I wondered if you have built your new cage and what you decided for loft placement. I am configuring and reconfiguring a C&C cage myself and it's gotten completely out of hand, size wise. And the engineering part!, support for loft, piggie access, ramp placement, trays, patio consideration for ramp shy pig, my brain sees what I want, but it just doesn't see the "how"! Trial and error is getting to be no fun, and cage has sprawled to take half of the room. Access to piggles and support for the loft, in 4x6 grid cage with 2x3 grid loft, and needing division for a cantankerous roomie pig. I sat and studied and re did, all night, now im exhausted and not satisfied with result. Nap time and fresh eyes, and someone with mad building skills, that's what I need.
Anyway, hope your Percy and Penelope are kicking back in their Ikea bad3d abode. If you have pics?

Last edited:

Wheekling

Cavy Gazer

View attachment 84084

Thank you in advance!

Hi there! I wondered if you have built your new cage and what you decided for loft placement. I am configuring and reconfiguring a C&C cage myself and it's gotten completely out of hand, size wise. And the engineering part!, support for loft, piggie access, ramp placement, trays, patio consideration for ramp shy pig, my brain sees what I want, but it just doesn't see the "how"! Trial and error is getting to be no fun, and cage has sprawled to take have of the room. Access to piggles and support for the loft, in 4x6 grid cage with 2x3 grid loft, and needing division for cantankerous roomie pig. I sat and studied and re did, all night, now im exhausted and not satisfied with result. Nap time and fresh eyes, and someone with mad building skills, thats what I need.
Anyway, hope your Percy and Penelope are kicking back in their Ikea bad3d abode. If you have pics?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.