Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Question New owner with a poop question

I have just adopted an elderly pig, he's happy and healthy, has unlimited hay, and the previous owner fed him unlimited vegetables, which I have limited after doing a lot of research, although he definitely gets a little more than the recommended 1 cup amount. I have also started giving him handfuls of fresh grass every day or two about three weeks ago. My question is poop related, what exactly is healthy poo. The shape and colour are both as should be. I spot clean twice a day and some of them are hard and dry(older poos?), and some are softer, firm but can be squashed between fingers. I just want to make sure that is normal, as many people have mentioned "softer poos" as sign of too many fresh vegetables. I just want to make sure if this kind of soft is acceptable or should I cut down on the fresh stuff.

Mentioned
    2118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4085 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,527 Rec'd/6,014 Posts

Re: New owner with a poop question

In general, you should start any new fresh stuff off with just a small amount and gradually increase it, especially fresh grass. I suspect his mixture of poop types is due to the fresh grass being given in handfuls. You might cut back a little so that he's getting about a cut and half of veggies and grass combined, and if possible, spread the fresh stuff throughout the day.

The danger in too many veggies is that they can come to prefer veggies over hay, which is what keeps their molars ground down and their gut moving properly. The same problem doesn't exist with grass, because it's got enough fiber and silica in it to serve the same function as hay. But an overload of fresh food can affect the digestive tract and cause soft, messy poop.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Re: New owner with a poop question

Thanks, I need to learn to be more strict with him, it's so hard not to give in to the cute begging and give something every time, especially because from where he is he can pretty much see the whole house, so no matter where I am I'm always seeing his little head sticking out waiting for the treat Thanks again, I'll try to control myself with the vegetables and keep an eye on the poo

User Tag List