Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Bella mating behavior...with me!

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Never had this problem with mooshy since she didn't care much to be held or petted. Bella is 180. For a month now my hand gets near her in her pen and the rumbling starts. I pick her up and the skirming in glee and vulva stuff starts. She's 5.5 mo old so I figure the age is here, but she can't sit still long with me if you know what I mean. I don't want to stop interacting with her but don't want her to mate with me either. Help? TIA

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just move your hand. It's totally normal behavior, but if it bothers you, just position her, and you, so she can't do it.

Artista

Cavy Slave
It means not holding her. Should i leave her be in the pen until this phase ends? She comes up to the bars and sees me and it starts. It doesn't really bother me until I saw the fluid come out at the peak if you know what I mean. What is best to do or it's only based on how I feel?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Are you sure this is a female? They don't generally secrete any fluids, even during sexual activity. That sounds like a boar.

Artista

Cavy Slave
It's confirmed a female. Exotic vet examined her.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
So this occurs all the time? If so that is very abnormal.

Female guinea pigs usually only exhibit that level of sexual behaviour when they are in heat, which is normally only for roughly one day every 2 weeks. If she is exhibiting hypersexual behaviour all the time I would be concerned for something like ovarian cysts, however having cysts at her very young age would be highly unusual.

Alternatively this behaviour could be dominance related rather than sexually based, she may be a more dominant guinea pig and might have a strong emotional need for dominance. If this is the case you are the only one with which she can express this dominating behaviour as she is a solo guinea pig.

Artista

Cavy Slave
She's had a well check exam and all is well. I guess I'm it. She is the friendliest pig ever. Greets everybody, gives kisses pretty much on command, snuggles. I mean a lot of the time she's more like a lap dog.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.