Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Treats What neat treats have you found for your piggies?

TrueColoursProd

Cavy Slave
Has anyone tried any of these treats with their piggies? And if so - did they just *like* them or go insane over them?

Aronia berries
Freeze dried banana
Birch Bark
Black Mallow Leaves

Blue Cornflower
Dried Carrot
Dried Fennel Tops

Chamomile Flowers
Coneflower (echinachea)
Dandelion Leaf
Dandelion Root
Hibiscus petals
Marigold Flowers
Parsley Root
Plantain Leaves
Banana Leaves
Rose Petals
Strawberry Leaf
Sunflower Petals
Willow Bark
Willow sticks and twigs

The line of Peters Products from Australia - the parsley huts and bowls, the veggie and fruits bowls in particular

Sweet Potato dehydrated fries

Yucca chunks

Would love your comments and input on what you have tried before, and which of these you would try if they were available

Thanks so much! :)

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Small pet select has mixes of herbs, flowers, dried greens. I give a tsp a day. My girl likes to forage for it. I have vitalicious, greens, zen and flowery. She loves them but flowery is less liked.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Personally, I would NEVER spend money on purchased treats. People buy threats for cavies thinking that they will like the variety. Most of the purchased items are pure crap and may only add sugar or potentially harmful items such as seeds. We *think* that they need variety, but my boys are fed virtually the same dinner every day......and they are just as excited every new day as for the previous dinner.

Anything that a cavy likes but doesn't have very often is a treat for them. My boys absolutely love fresh dandelion greens, fresh celery leaves from the garden, corn husks, and other veggies that are only seasonally available. An occasional bite or two of a favorite fruit counts as a treat as well.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Small pet select stuff doesnt have bad stuff. Its a foraging thing too. I give her all veggies ok for daily everyday and a raspberry each night for dessert. Hay consumption hasnt been compromised. Plus she doesnt eat much of the dried herbs, flowers... but thats the only place id buy forages as everyone else is mostly junk.

TrueColoursProd

Cavy Slave
Very interesting comments - thank you all for your input. A walk up the aisles of the pet stores does show a lot of processed products that are bound with honey and the like. Perhaps the animals may love them but it cant be good for them even on an occassional basis! Even with our little dog, we have always stuck with the pure food items that have been dried like liver, duck feet, sweet potato strips, etc and for the cavvies I'm sure its the same. The search is on for all natural things rather than the processed ones

I appreciate your comments - thank you again

Artista

Cavy Slave
Definitely read the labels. Thats why only small pet select herbs for bella as thats all there is in it. Dried with some flowers. She doesnt chow it down and at first didn't touch it. She'll forage through it like they do in the wild and pick out some. The bag i have will last months and months the rate she's going. Just thought I'd bring a bit of the outdoors in.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.