Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Crusty Eyes ONE Crusty and watery eye, should I worry?

Pippacinnamon

Cavy Gazer
My guinea pig, Pippa, has a single crusty and watery eye. Her other eye is COMPLETELY fine, I️ haven?t noticed any wheezing, coughing or sneezing. I?ve tried to attach a picture, let me know if it doesn?t post. Thank you! 87D46776-D191-4CAF-8D43-9D6DFA182FE4.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She may have a blocked tear duct. Use a warm damp cloth to clean the eye, and then very very VERY gently massage just under the eye, close to the nose. Do this a couple of times a day for a couple of days and see if things improve. If not, post back and we'll try something else.

Pippacinnamon

Cavy Gazer
She may have a blocked tear duct. Use a warm damp cloth to clean the eye, and then very very VERY gently massage just under the eye, close to the nose. Do this a couple of times a day for a couple of days and see if things improve. If not, post back and we'll try something else.
Thank you! I?ll definitely update!

Pippacinnamon

Cavy Gazer
1220D368-D0A7-44E5-A410-2F39817E664B.jpgHi! I️ noticed now she?s tilting her head to the same side her crusty eye is on. Her eye has improved but I?m more concerned now because of her head tilting. Any advice?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes. Vet, quickly. It's the first sign of an ear inection, and they quicker she's treated the less likely the tilt is to be permanent.

Pippacinnamon

Cavy Gazer
My mom and i saw something in her ear and got out a ball of something hard, looked almost like earwax. I don’t think we’ll be able to take her to the vet :( do you think she’ll be okay?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you don't have enough money to take your pig to the vet, you don't have enough money for a guinea pig. It's not fair to a small animal, one who depends on you for EVERYTHING in its life, to let it suffer from lack of medical care. That's as much a part of responsible pet ownership as food, water, or bedding.

Getting the wax out of your pig's ear may or may not take take of the tilt problem. But only you and your mom can take care of the problem of not taking the pig to the vet. What if she had a bladder stone? Or ovarian cysts? Or a bad URI? Would you just let her suffer?

Pippacinnamon

Cavy Gazer
I’m trying to save money to bring her to the vet! I’m just trying to gauge the situation. Thanks for your input and making me feel horrible!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm not trying to make you feel horrible. But stick around a while, and you'll see quite a few people on here who think there's no need to ever take a guinea pig to a vet. "They're just rodents," they'll say, and point out that you can buy another for very little money. Or people will get a pig without ever thinking about what vet costs will be.

Pippacinnamon

Cavy Gazer
I’m sorry for saying you were making me feel horrible, i was upset in the moment. I am planning to take both my pigs to a local vet. Thank you for everything you’ve helped me with!

Pippacinnamon

Cavy Gazer
Do you think she’ll be okay until Friday? That’s the soonest any vet could take her in

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
An ear infection won't kill her, but it is uncomfortable and the longer you wait, the more likely the head tilt will be permanent. That being said, going Friday is better than not going at all.

Pippacinnamon

Cavy Gazer
Alright thank you so much!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is the head tilt any better since the gunk came out of her ear?

Pippacinnamon

Cavy Gazer
Slightly, it looks like she favors the side the gunk came out of. She doesn’t wobble when she walks anymore but when i put her back in her cage she wobbled as she was walking, which i thought was odd.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Not odd. If there's infection in her ear, it affects her balance.

Pippacinnamon

Cavy Gazer
True, i really appreciate you replying so quickly. You’re really helping me out! Thank you!

Pippacinnamon

Cavy Gazer
Update! We went to the vet and they said she does have an ear infection, and that the head tilt may or may not be permanent. We have medicine to give to her and hopefully everything goes smoothly! They did find a mass under her chin (which they can get rid of with more antibiotics but they said that it can wait because they were touching and poking at her a lot) and they said she might have some minor dental issues but Pippa wasn’t a fan of them looking in her mouth so they put that off as well, as long as she is still eating and drinking they said she should be fine. We do have critical care food from the vet just in case! I really appreciate everybody that helped me out! Thank you guys!

Pippacinnamon

Cavy Gazer
Another update... yesterday she couldn’t really move her legs and had a hard time walking, she was still drinking and eating though. Last night she passed away. Of course I’m sad she’s gone but I’m glad she isn’t sick or in pain anymore. Thank you all for all of your help! ��

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Fly free over the Rainbow Bridge, Pippa!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.