Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Boar Scared of New Cage w/ Fleece Flippers?

nightowlmama

Cavy Slave
Has anyone experienced having a scared guinea pig when you moved them into a larger, new cage with fleece flippers? Our adult boar Theodore has always been happy, curious and not spooked by anything. He walked around the cage and ate but mostly he is hiding in his house. He's not by himself. He has a boy pup with him.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's new territory, and new smells to him. Give him time.

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
Has anyone experienced having a scared guinea pig when you moved them into a larger, new cage with fleece flippers? Our adult boar Theodore has always been happy, curious and not spooked by anything. He walked around the cage and ate but mostly he is hiding in his house. He's not by himself. He has a boy pup with him.
Also adding a bigger change to the cage might overwhelm you're gp a bit but it shouldn't be too long till he's back to normal

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

nightowlmama

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I thought he would be excited but that makes sense that he needs time to adjust. Maybe he needs more to play with?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Does he have things to run through like tunnels? Some pigs don't like big open space.

You can also cover half of the cage with a blanket and see if he'll move around more.

nightowlmama

Cavy Slave
IMG_5455.jpgWe only have one little tunnel so we'll try putting some more things in there. Thanks!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I believe that it would make a significant difference for your boar(s) if you raise the cage off the ground. Anytime someone approaches him, it appears to be this giant house eagle who is going to devour him!

Put the cage on a table (or tables) or make a grid stand to fit the cage. Make a grid stand separate from the cage and then zip-tie them together. You can also put casters on the cage so that you can move it around for cleaning. An added bonus is that the stand may have cubby holes where you can store all things cavy. I have those canvas bins in mine.

Look through the gallery for ideas, or I can help. I don't know if my cage is there, but I could post pics again.

nightowlmama

Cavy Slave
I didn't think of that. Thanks! I've looked at those cage options so we might just try that! I'm also ordering a fleece forest and a few other things this week.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I also wanted to comment on what a nice job you did with that cage. Everything seems to fit nice and neat. It almost looks like a field to run around in!

Now, hope he doesn't figure out that he can get UNDER the flippers lol!

nightowlmama

Cavy Slave
Thanks! He loves to run around my son's room and gets going SO fast in circles that we're all dying laughing. He loves running around the room. So that's kind of why I tried to keep the cage open and clear. Theodore is quite the explorer so he just might find his way under the flippers! He was close to figuring out how to get the door open on the midwest cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.