Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Adding to my herd! 2 separate boar pairs!

AmyAmy

Cavy Slave
So my original boar pair is unsavable 😧 they have major grudges with each other and will only continue fighting. So I've expanded the cage, again, in anticipation for two younger boars. They are from my local humane society and I'm hoping to pair one each to my existing pigs. My first question is, cage size.

My cage is a current mix of grids and closet shelving but it measures 10.9ft long and 2.3ft wide (or two grids). Is that enough for a boar pair once divided? (5.45ft x 2.3ft). The divider, should it have coroplast as well to block visual stimuli.

Second question. Bonding possible. My boys are over 2 years old. The new boys are 7-8months roughly. Is this an acceptable age gap? Or should I go younger? That option would be the petsmart piggies and I'm not too keen on petshop pets...

As for intros I've read it all. Mandatory quarantine, neutral space no smells with hay/veg. Buddy bath as an optional second step. And a fully cleaned and rearranged cage to be placed in once it all is (hopefully) successfully.

Do I sound like I'm on the right track? I don't want my boys to live solo forever because of their fight.. ..

AmyAmy

Cavy Slave
I'm picking up the boys on monday!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just be prepared for the fact that you may wind up with four solo boars. That's always a possibility when introducing pigs, especially boars.

Marie1234

Cavy Slave
Good luck, hope everything works out.

AmyAmy

Cavy Slave
Just be prepared for the fact that you may wind up with four solo boars. That's always a possibility when introducing pigs, especially boars.

The humane society is aware of what Im doing. So if it comes down to it, and all combinations fail, I can return them in 30 days. Though I don't want to, I don't have the space for 4 solo boars

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.