Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Expanding the heard?

Hi all! I?m looking for some advice on adding some pigs to my family. I know Ive asked a similar question on this forum awhile ago but I?m looking for more particular advice.

I have two boys currently in a 3x6 C&c cage. They?re both aren?t neutered, young, and are pretty close. Recently, I came across a pair of older spayed ladies that I would love to add to my home. Does anyone have any luck with a double male/double female herd? I know if there?s one female the males can get too dominant but I?m wondering if it?s the same with two? I?m also thinking since my boys are pretty young the older ladies could put them in their place. But I understand that?s totally me projecting aha. I?m ready to get the ladies and them their own c&c but I figured I?d ask! As I mentioned in my other post I?d love to have a big herd of pigs in one cage but want to be realistic.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,254 Rec'd/5,779 Posts
    Mentioned
    2032 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3817 Post(s)

Re: Expanding the heard?

It won't work. You can put multiple females with one male, but two males, even with neutered females, will fight.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    It won't work. You can put multiple females with one male, but two males, even with neutered females, will fight.
    In that case, do you think it?d be okay to put the cages close to each other? Or do you think the males will fight over just the smell of females?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,254 Rec'd/5,779 Posts
    Mentioned
    2032 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3817 Post(s)

No, a lot of people have males next to females. If the girls weren't spayed, you'd need a lid on their side of the cage. A determined male can push up a lid on his own cage, but can't lift the lid on another cage.

User Tag List