Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Moving States!

Slamb

Cavy Slave
My boyfriend and I plan on moving from our home in Illinois down to Florida. We will be able to get away with only driving our vehicles for the move. We have decided that I will be taking our rabbit Athena in my vehicle. I need to know if ways that she can safely travel in my front seat next to me so that hebdoesnt have to be in a travel cage for almost 18 hours. I've thought about putting blankets down covering the seat so if she has an accident I can quickly switch blankets ( I can buy them at the store for $2.50 each so it's ok to throw a few away), and putting her litter box on the floor so she can go to the restroom when needed and not lay in it. My biggest concern is her getting under the seat or trying to get into the back seat. Any tips?
9874a1f01225e9ebaa39cb0d27413067.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
For you to travel safely, she needs to be in a cage. If she got startled and got under your feet, you could both be killed. But you could create a seat-sized cage out of grids, and she'd be able to see you and you could interact with her. You can also fasten the cage with the seatbelt.

Slamb

Cavy Slave
For you to travel safely, she needs to be in a cage. If she got startled and got under your feet, you could both be killed. But you could create a seat-sized cage out of grids, and she'd be able to see you and you could interact with her. You can also fasten the cage with the seatbelt.
Thank you for pointing that out to me. I didn't even think about her getting under my feet! I've also thought about putting the litter box on the seat next to her. I'm training her on a harness so I can take her out for walks when the weather warms up and I thought about getting a doggie seatbelt for the car and clipping her in so she can't get farther than the seat.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd worry a little about the doggie seatbelt. Rabbits have pretty fragile backs, and if you were in an accident and the rabbit were thrown forward against the harness, it could result in a back injury.

Slamb

Cavy Slave
I'd worry a little about the doggie seatbelt. Rabbits have pretty fragile backs, and if you were in an accident and the rabbit were thrown forward against the harness, it could result in a back injury.
You do have a point. I do plan on taking her to be spayed here in the next few months and I plan on asking her vet about safe ways to travel with her. I want her to be safe incase anything happens, but I also want her to be comfortable. I've tossed around a few ideas and 1 was a larger cat carrier that she has room to move around in, but I can't out a Litter box in there with her.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've traveled with a cat by packing the floor of the front seat even with the seat itself, and then putting a largish grid cage in there.

I've also traveled with a rabbit for a two day trip that just had a heavy fleece in the bottom of the cage. We shook it out each time we stopped. The rabbit did fine, and it didn't screw with her potty training.

Slamb

Cavy Slave
I've traveled with a cat by packing the floor of the front seat even with the seat itself, and then putting a largish grid cage in there.

I've also traveled with a rabbit for a two day trip that just had a heavy fleece in the bottom of the cage. We shook it out each time we stopped. The rabbit did fine, and it didn't screw with her potty training.
Thank you for the tips! You've helped A LOT!

DianeDa

Cavy Gazer
We travelled by car from Austria to Greece with our rabbit, it was in a cage and the way was around 18 hours, long, but it was ok, she was on the back seat with my mother, who took care of the rabbit and interacted with her. I also think it is too dangerous to travel by car with your rabbit without a cage. We left our babe at my mom's in Greece, she bought a house in Athens and takes care of her little farm and garden. I will do the same one day :)

andree

Cavy Gazer
We travelled by car from Austria to Greece with our rabbit, it was in a cage and the way was around 18 hours, long, but it was ok, she was on the back seat with my mother, who took care of the rabbit and interacted with her. I also think it is too dangerous to travel by car with your rabbit without https://bestpricefinds.com cage. We left our babe at my mom's in Greece, she bought a house in Athens and takes care of her little farm and garden. I will do the same one day :)

Good for you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.