Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hocus passed away

CavyEngineer

Cavy Slave
Last weekend, Hocus began to make whimpering sounds. Took me a day to figure out she was crying every time she peed. A visit to the cavy savy vet was in order. She was still eating and drinking, albeit a bit slower than usual. Appointment was Thursday. Vet ordered an x ray and urine tests. She was extremely concerned when she entered the exam room. Dr O said there were no stones, that the bladder was enlarged and pushing on the GI tract. The urine contained red blood cells, white blood cells and tumor cells. Hocus had bladder cancer, and maybe other organs. Dr O offered to put Hocus down, but we chose to bring her home with pain meds and steroids. Dr O tried to squeeze her bladder, and I never heard such screams before. Things went downhill quickly. The opioids left her ?stoned,? so we switched to different pain med. She would walk around and eat, but never appeared relaxed again. She was always hunched. She wouldn?t eat Critical Care, and cried when peeing. I had my son give her all the veggies she wanted on Friday. On Saturday, we took her back to the vet to be euthanized. My son was angry and my husband questioned whether we were making the right decision. But she had no quality of life: pain when peeing, never able to lay down or relax. The vet tech gave her some apple and blueberry, then took her to another room to give her gas (state law wouldn?t allow us in the room). She could have given an injection with us in the room, but I didn?t want Hocus to have her last experience be a painful poke. We came in as she was fading. She looked so peaceful. Brought in Pocus to see her sister one last time. We?ve been basket cases since. Hocus would have been 4 years old on February 1st.

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
Last weekend, Hocus began to make whimpering sounds. Took me a day to figure out she was crying every time she peed. A visit to the cavy savy vet was in order. She was still eating and drinking, albeit a bit slower than usual. Appointment was Thursday. Vet ordered an x ray and urine tests. She was extremely concerned when she entered the exam room. Dr O said there were no stones, that the bladder was enlarged and pushing on the GI tract. The urine contained red blood cells, white blood cells and tumor cells. Hocus had bladder cancer, and maybe other organs. Dr O offered to put Hocus down, but we chose to bring her home with pain meds and steroids. Dr O tried to squeeze her bladder, and I never heard such screams before. Things went downhill quickly. The opioids left her ?stoned,? so we switched to different pain med. She would walk around and eat, but never appeared relaxed again. She was always hunched. She wouldn?t eat Critical Care, and cried when peeing. I had my son give her all the veggies she wanted on Friday. On Saturday, we took her back to the vet to be euthanized. My son was angry and my husband questioned whether we were making the right decision. But she had no quality of life: pain when peeing, never able to lay down or relax. The vet tech gave her some apple and blueberry, then took her to another room to give her gas (state law wouldn?t allow us in the room). She could have given an injection with us in the room, but I didn?t want Hocus to have her last experience be a painful poke. We came in as she was fading. She looked so peaceful. Brought in Pocus to see her sister one last time. We?ve been basket cases since. Hocus would have been 4 years old on February 1st.
I'm so sorry for your loss

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry you lost her. It's so hard to lose a pet, and worse when you have to make a decision to euthanize one. But you did the right thing -- there are no medals given for living in pain when there's no hope of ever getting better.

CavyEngineer

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I had others question the vet’s diagnosis, but she is quite experienced. I keep asking myself if I missed some sign, but Hocus hid the illness so well. Or maybe the cancer spread so fast. My teenager is especially angry. Hocus and Pocus were his first pets. He says he never wants to get another animal. Now we must care for our single guinea pig, Pocus.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@CavyEngineer, I am so, so sorry you had to lose Hocus like that.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Pigs are the sweetest, most gentle, innocent creatures, and they do not deserve to contract illnesses like this.
You did the right thing, thank you for having the courage to let her go. I'm sure she knows you did everything you could for her, and that you loved her enough to let her go.

One day I hope your son realizes what really happened, the pain she was in, and the kindness you did by taking away her suffering.

Rest in peace, sweet Hocus. Find all your new furry little friends at the Rainbow Bridge, play in the warm sun and eat all you want, pain free.

yarnsrj

Cavy Slave
May Hocus rest in peace. No more pain. Our little cavies are family members and we just need time to mourn their passing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.