Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello all!

GizmoDork

Cavy Gazer
Howdy from West Virginia, USA.

I'm a mom of 2 little girls, ages 4 and 5. My husband and I have agreed that it was time to get them pets, so we narrowed down our list of caged pets to guinea pigs (my choice) or leopard geckos (his choice). The girls chose piggies, naturally. What's not to love?? We now have two sweet little girl piggies, Princess Sophia Sophie.jpg and Princess Rose Rose.jpg. I got them from a local mom & pop shop who buys their pets from local breeders, and has an adoption center for a no-kill animal shelter. I love that shop. They said the guinea pigs are between 8 and 12 weeks, and come from different litters but have been together for some time.

My 4 year old took to Sophie immediately. She is so gentle and loving. It's fascinating to watch. She's already been peed on and she didn't scream or get upset. She very calmly handed me Sophie and said, "She peed on me. I need to go change my clothes."
On the other hand, my 5 year old is not interested in much besides her video games and books. She hasn't shown much interest in Rose yet, but that's okay. Rose will be my guinea pig :love:.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Be sure to turn them both over and compare their private parts to make sure you've got two sows. We've seen a ton of pregnant "males" on here, as well as virgin births.

Also, teach the kids how to hold the guinea pigs -- against the kid's chest, one hand underneath, one hand across the chest with some of the fingers over the pig's front legs. it would be far better for you to have them sit down and you catch the pigs and put them in their laps than to let them try to grab them.

Here's some recommended reading material for new owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

GizmoDork

Cavy Gazer
I made sure to sex them before I brought them home. I don't let the kids get the piggies out of their cage or hold them without supervision. I'm also not a first time guinea pig owner. Thanks for your concern, tho. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.