Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick My Guinea Pig may be dying

AlexS2000

Cavy Gazer
Hello everyone, I made this account so I can find out some advice on what to do with my guinea pig Teddy, female 3 years old. Lately, starting this week, she had a cold where she would sneeze and clean herself frequently. However she was still active and eating. Tonight, I noticed she nearly didn?t wake up, she was distant and more tired than usual. She was sneezing more and lost weight. As well as started to lose a little bit of her hair under her eye lid. Is she getting an infection? None of the vets we went to assists Guinea Pigs. My mom says she may be dying since she is breathing out of rhythm than normal. What should I do?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She's not getting an infection, she's got one. And guinea pigs can go from first symptom to dead in 24 hours.

Where are you? City/state, not your actual address. We may be able to help you find a vet. THAT's what you need to do.

AlexS2000

Cavy Gazer
She's not getting an infection, she's got one. And guinea pigs can go from first symptom to dead in 24 hours.

Where are you? City/state, not your actual address. We may be able to help you find a vet. THAT's what you need to do.
I am in Bothell, Washington State. United States

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I just looked at that site as well, @AlexS200, and they have 24 hour emergency exotic service with a number to call. I saw the link in the upper right hand corner.

bpatters is right, she HAS an infection already and is rapidly running out of time. You need to bundle her up and get her there NOW.

AlexS2000

Cavy Gazer
Alright I will go over there ASAP
I regret to say that my Guinea Pig was put down as she was in extreme critical condition. Thanks for all your help and my guinea pig is now in a better place.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry you lost her, especially in this way. Take comfort in knowing she isn't suffering any more.

Rest in peace, Teddy.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry you lost her.

If you have other pigs, just remember that it's critical that you get a sick guinea pig to the vet as soon as possible. It's never a good idea to wait and see if they'll get better on their own, because they often don't. And the quicker you get treatment started, the more likely they are to pull through.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.