Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Suggestions on setting up cage

Gweixel

Cavy Gazer
Hello,

We recently got my daughter two young guinea pigs for my daughter in a midwest guinea cage. They seem to be doing quite well and she loves them. We sectioned off one smaller area that is covered in bedding and has their hay, pellets, and fresh vegetables, and water. I had hoped they would have used that area to go to the bathroom. Instead, they use a corner in the other area (see picture), which has no bedding, and is just a canvas bottom and has their hide out. They go to the bathroom immediately to the right of the hide out -- between the hideout and the ramp in the corner.

Clean up is obviously a disaster! Should we put bedding through the entire cage? I was hoping not to have to do that. There is not enough space for a litter tray in the corner where they have been going -- should I just put newspaper down in that corner? I would prefer not to use disposable pads because it seems such a waste environmentally. And my daughter wants the hide out to face her so she can see them but so Im trying to keep the hide out where it is but obviously if we have to move it we would. I'm interested in any suggestions!

Thanks so much!
Goldie

Attachments

guinea pig cage.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There does need to be bedding in the whole cage. Otherwise, their feet will get wet from the urine and you'll have problems with bumblefoot.

You need to either throw out that hidey or cut another door in it so that no pig can get trapped. Hideys with one door are just invitations for one pig to trap another and get its face slashed for its trouble.

If you bought them from a pet store, you need to turn them over and compare their private parts to make sure they're the same sex. Never trust a pet store employee's word for whether a pig is male or female. If they're not the same, then separate them immediately. Guinea pig sows can get pregnant again within minutes of giving birth or miscarrying, and back-to-back pregnancies are VERY hard on sows, particularly young sows.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Gweixel

Cavy Gazer
Thanks. It may not be obvious from the picture but the hideaway does have two openings -- one round hole on the left and the curved archway on the right. So I think we are ok there at least! Do you think I could just, or mostly put the bedding in the little corner where they go to the bathroom? They really only pee in one place. Thank again!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, you need bedding all over the cage. One round of trying to cure bumblefoot will cure you of not wanting to deal with bedding all over the cage.

Gweixel

Cavy Gazer
so glad to know that -- I will add it right away.

Squibbles

Cavy Gazer
Hello,

We recently got my daughter two young guinea pigs for my daughter in a midwest guinea cage. They seem to be doing quite well and she loves them. We sectioned off one smaller area that is covered in bedding and has their hay, pellets, and fresh vegetables, and water. I had hoped they would have used that area to go to the bathroom. Instead, they use a corner in the other area (see picture), which has no bedding, and is just a canvas bottom and has their hide out. They go to the bathroom immediately to the right of the hide out -- between the hideout and the ramp in the corner.

Clean up is obviously a disaster! Should we put bedding through the entire cage? I was hoping not to have to do that. There is not enough space for a litter tray in the corner where they have been going -- should I just put newspaper down in that corner? I would prefer not to use disposable pads because it seems such a waste environmentally. And my daughter wants the hide out to face her so she can see them but so Im trying to keep the hide out where it is but obviously if we have to move it we would. I'm interested in any suggestions!

Thanks so much!
Goldie

Hi! I use fleece layered on top of towels throughout the cage and I have CareFresh bedding in the 2 areas that they like to do majority of their business in. Guinea pigs like to go in areas that are covered because not only does it make them feel safe since they are prey animals, but also because the scent of their waste is not as detectable to predators as would be if it were in the open.

My girls go where they sleep. I used to think ?there is not as much poop as I thought there would be...? and then, I lifted the hideys and found all kinds of little treasures! I learned quickly to put their houses on top of the ?litter.? I spot clean the paper bedding daily and I do not really use enough for it to be too much of an environmental stressor. I purchased a 50 L bag on January 2 and I have a a little more than half left.

As far as newspaper goes, it is not really very absorbent, and I am not sure how well it would keep any odors at bay. I have read somewhere that if you do use newspaper to use only black and white copies. Hope this helps some! I am new to guinea pigs myself. Good luck [emoji5]

Marie1234

Cavy Slave
Welcome! They do need some sort of absorbent bedding everywhere. Newspapers stink and need to be changed a lot. I found wood shavings flew out of the cage because of the low sides on the Midwest (use only aspen). Carefresh bedding stayed in better. Lots of people use fleece and you can look up how that works on this site....it's an environmentally friendly option. I have been converted to vetbed, which is a type of fleece bedding, lol. Main thing is that you have something down that is safe and keeps them dry.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.