Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails/Nail Trimming New discovery

Cleophauna

Cavy Slave
I have 2 piggies, Victoria and Widget. Victoria is pretty friendly, likes to be held once she is picked up, and will come to the side of the cage for chin and head rubs. Widget not so much. Cutting nails has been a real hassle with Widget. Victoria tolerates it as long as food is involved, with a little bit of struggling. Tonight by accident I went to trim Widget's nails, dreading the upcoming fight and by accident her head got covered by the lap blanket I was using. Instant limp piggie. I tested to make sure she was alright and went about trimming both feet on the right side of her body. Uncovered her head, flipped her around and trimmed the left side. Whole process less than 10 minutes. I tried to duplicate with Victoria no such luck.

I haven't read of anybody else having luck with this, but then again, I haven't read everything either. But, if you have a little wiggly one this might work for you. I don't think Widget will ever be a cuddly piggie, but, she does love to be talked to and sometimes will talk back. What she lacks in cuddleness she makes up for in personality.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
You have discovered why many of us utilize the "burrito wrap" when doing nails. The wrap not only restrains the piggy while nails are being done, but also generally covers the head as well. When the head is covered, you may choose to talk soothingly to the piggy, or else pretend that some outside force is trimming the nails and that their loving "Mommy" isn't the culprit. I often lightly stroke the feet when they are in the wrap which seems to be calming to them.

Cleophauna

Cavy Slave
You have discovered why many of us utilize the "burrito wrap" when doing nails.

I must have missed that one. I'll have to look it up with that name. I've watched several vids, but none mentioned "burrito wrap". I'm beginning to feel cheated...LOL

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
It's pretty simple.........take a hand towel and roll up the piggy in it. You can position it so that either the front feet or the back feet are nearest an opening. I do the back feet first as they are to be the most challenging because the cavy will jerk and kick. I put the tightly wrapped piggy on my lap with my left arm restraining it against my body while my left hand pulls out the piggy foot....which leaves the right hand free to wield the clippers.

I then pull the piggy toward the front of the wrap and expose head and front paws while still maintaining the wrap fairly tightly closed. My boys are pretty good about having their front nails clipped and covering the head isn't essential. I DO recommend that you wear nitrile gloves throughout the process. If I make the slightest error and cause Chip pain, he won't hesitate to bite.

I utilize the burrito wrap when I have to do anything where the piggy needs to be restrained, but with my current boys, nail trimming is the only task that requires it.

Cleophauna

Cavy Slave
Widget was so calm throughout the process with just her head covered I was amazed. If she gets used to having just the head covered I might just have to try the "burrito" method. It's taking almost a year to pick her up without her squealing like she's being killed. I always wonder who's been more traumatized by being handled her or me. LOL Like I said earlier, she likes company, just don't touch. What I think is really sweet is that she has never once so much as even nipped at me. So maybe she's just a drama queen. LOL

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
So maybe she's just a drama queen. LOL

No. She's just a guinea pig!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.