Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior 1 male guinea pig whines every time dominant male comes near him

KristaJ

Cavy Slave
Hi there. I am brand new to this group and have never owned Guinea pigs before. I recently got 2 male guinea pigs (Bear- Dominant male; much bigger,8 weeks old, Pepe- almost completely submissive male; much smaller, 6 weeks old). They are housed in a C and C cage that is 5 grids x 4 grids big. They have 2 houses, 2 food bowls, tunnels, corner caves with fleece beds and 2 water bottles (although one prefers to drink from a bowl even after hand teaching it with the bottle). I have been doing lots of research and believe I am doing everything correctly with them. My question is.......

Why is Pepe ( the less dominant male) always whining and squealing everytime Bear (larger dominant pig) comes near him?

Bear is always following him around, humping him and licking his butt, rumblestrutting (its relentless).....which I have read is a normal dominant behaviour. I just feel bad for Pepe because he is CONSTANTLY whining and squealing. Even if Bear isn't close to him yet he starts doing it. When they are active at dawn and dusk, he is just consistently doing this. Any comments would be extremely helpful and comforting. Just want to make sure he is happy.

cavycalm1

Cavy Slave
I have the same thing happen to me! Sprout (the more dominant one) doesn't have to be doing anything to Bean (the more submissive one) for Bean to be making noises. I found this strange after having a lone Sprout for a while, who was mostly silent. Then along came Bean, and the bubbling (I think that's the noise you're hearing) began.

I think ink it's just Bean talking to herself and Sprout, she always appears contented doing it, and is never in a stressed position. I think Pepe may just be more vocal.

cavycalm1

Cavy Slave
By the way, it sounds like your pigs have an amazing setup!

KristaJ

Cavy Slave
Thanks. Also, that is very reassuring.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Why is Pepe ( the less dominant male) always whining and squealing everytime Bear (larger dominant pig) comes near him?

It sounds as though your boys have a terrific setup with adequate room for two boars. The "why" of it is that your boys are in the throes of puberty! Alas, this behavior may go on until they reach adulthood (+/- a year old) at which point it should calm down. If it gets to the point that you (and Pepe) can't take it, then you may want to consider having Bear neutered. See my response in this thread: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/thr/118082-Boar-fallout-Bullying-after-seperation-Advice-needed-please?p=998278&posted=1#post998278.

I once brought home a little sow who wouldn't drink from the water bottle and would only use a bowl. After about three weeks of this, I noticed that she had begun to drink from the bottle (I think her cagemate helped with this) and removed the bowl.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.