Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Guinea pigs don't like Vitamin C tablets

Abbyp137

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,
I'm new here. I just adopted two female guinea pigs about a month ago, Daisy and Buttercup. I've tried feeding them the Oxbow vitamin C tablet along with their regular diet of Oxbow pellets, fresh veggies, and Timothy hay, however they will not eat the vitamin C tablets. I bought some children's chewable vitamin C in orange flavor which they will not touch either. I even tried crushing the vitamin and sprinkling it on a veggie, but they wouldn't eat the veggie with the vitamin c sprinkled on. I brought them to an exotic vet just for a regular check-up and the vet suggested yogurt drops, as more guinea pigs seem to like them. When doing my initial research about guinea pigs before adopting, I remember reading that the yogurt drops are very bad for them. Should I get the yogurt drops or just not worry about giving any extra vitamin C right now as they are healthy? Any help is appreciated!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They don't need supplemental vitamin C if you'r giving them Oxbow pellets and veggies high in vitamin C, such as bell peppers. And definitely don't give them yogurt drops -- guinea pigs are lactose intolerant.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.