Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

New Owners - Need Cage Advice

Hello! We are new to guinea pigs but love them already. Eventually we would like to build a cage but right now there is no time. I'm wondering if this is a good one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER. I'm open to suggestions! Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanks
    405 Rec'd/362 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)

Re: New Owners - Need Cage Advice

If you absolutely HAVE to go with a store bought cage, even temporarily, connect a couple of the biggest Midwest Guinea pig cages you can get. The one you linked, and even a single Midwest is simply not even close to being big enough for one pig, never mind more.

Build yourself a nice C&C cage, or even buy one from this parent site of this forum. I believe you can get one here likely almost as quick as you can get that little one on amazon. That would be a much better route for you to go.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,007 Rec'd/5,562 Posts
    Mentioned
    1975 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3616 Post(s)

Not nearly large enough even for one guinea pig. You need seven and a half square feet, minimum, for one pig, more for two pigs.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Thanks for the advice! We have one Midwest guinea pig cage but have been using it as a run because it would get really smelly. The one we currently have is easy to clean and doesn't smell but is too small. We don't have tons of room for a huge cage but I do want our two guinea pigs to be comfortable.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Okay so the difference between the getting Midwest cage and the cages sold from the link on this site is coroplast vs pvc canvas? Is the coroplast easy to clean if we use bedding instead of fleece?

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,462 Rec'd/1,200 Posts
    Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1084 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nightowlmama View Post
    Is the coroplast easy to clean if we use bedding instead of fleece?
    Sure is! The trade name "Coroplast" comes from corrugated plastic. Visualize what corrugated cardboard is like and just a plastic version of that. Coroplast is virtually indestructible so long as you don't touch it with something hot like a heat gun or carelessly use a razor knife.....both tools which incidentally are used in the construction of a C&C cage.

Most of us use something between the bedding and cage or fleece and cage. I have used puppy pads but discontinued their use to eliminate the wastefulness of them. There is an added reason......my cavies are obsessed with the blue plastic around the puppy pads and will chew them if they discover them. I use fleece and changed to incontinence pads as a liner. They are kinder to the environment and less expensive in the long run.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    Sure is! The trade name "Coroplast" comes from corrugated plastic. Visualize what corrugated cardboard is like and just a plastic version of that. Coroplast is virtually indestructible so long as you don't touch it with something hot like a heat gun or carelessly use a razor knife.....both tools which incidentally are used in the construction of a C&C cage.

Most of us use something between the bedding and cage or fleece and cage. I have used puppy pads but discontinued their use to eliminate the wastefulness of them. There is an added reason......my cavies are obsessed with the blue plastic around the puppy pads and will chew them if they discover them. I use fleece and changed to incontinence pads as a liner. They are kinder to the environment and less expensive in the long run.
    Thanks! I'm looking into fleece. It sounds like a good idea. When washing do you soak it first?

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,462 Rec'd/1,200 Posts
    Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1084 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nightowlmama View Post
    Thanks! I'm looking into fleece. It sounds like a good idea. When washing do you soak it first?
    No, I don't.......but some do. I normally take the fleece outside, shake and brush it, and then off to the washer. (In bitterly cold weather I often skip the step of brushing it).

Everything in our home (piggy items included) gets washed in All Free-and-Clear. For the piggies, I will often add bleach to the wash. People will tell you that fleece is virtually indestructible, but that's not true if you use the same set of liners and wash them every time with bleach. The bleach will fade the fleece and eventually eat holes in it. What has worked for me is to add something like Oxyclean most of the time and about every 3rd or 4th time they are laundered, use bleach.

My washer has a "rinse-and-spin" cycle which I use after the main wash. To that short cycle I will add copious amounts of white vinegar to remove any remaining odors. If you are worried about hair on your clothes, just don't wash a load of darks immediately after doing a piggy load. Some folks like using a blanket bag (which horse lovers use) which is discussed in another forum.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Great advice, thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks