Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Store Cage for a week ?

amy92700

Cavy Gazer
89CCED12-7FF3-4153-A078-7044FCF30CEB.jpg

hello! i recently made an account for the problem i?m having with my guinea pigs cage. i?ve had a C&C 3x2 w/ loft for the entirety of both my piggies lives, but since i am moving, i couldn?t take the C&C all together and had to take it apart :(. I will be staying somewhere for a week before i can actually build it up again because i don?t move in til next thursday. my problem is, they have to stay in this tiny little pet store cage this week, like when i mean tiny i mean tiny (i have two piggies also). i feel super super bad for them and will definitely be giving them loads of play pen time but while i?m at school i?m worried this isn?t enough room for them. i feel so bad...i?ve tried to connect their play pen to the cage so they can walk in and out but i don?t have any real things to use as a ramp for in between the cage and the play pen. any help or tips right now would be appreciated
also when i move i would like to make a cage out of plexiglass and wood and have them be able to walk out onto the floor if they would like too, so if you guys have any tips for that too it would be very helpful.
thank you for anyone who answers :love:

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can loosely zip tie the grids together and they'll fold flat. You can then stand them up to make a cage. I definitely would NOT put two pigs in that cage.

amy92700

Cavy Gazer
which grids? can you explain with more details please? and as i said i cant put them in anything bigger until next week but i’m using their play pen as an expansion for now.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The grids that made up your C&C that you had to take apart.

amy92700

Cavy Gazer
what do you think i could use under them, also do you think they could knock them down? i don’t want them to hurt themselves. the people i am staying with are very concerned about the carpet so i have to make sure it doesn’t get any pee even close to it.
thank you

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I would just keep them in the playpen area.

Get a plastic table cloth from the dollar store so the carpet is protected and the you can use fleece with some kind of absorbent material under it (old towels, ect.).

I wouldn't worry too much about them moving the play pen around, they probably wouldn't be too interested.

amy92700

Cavy Gazer
i would do that but i don’t have any fleece :-/ anything i could use instead? good suggestion

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Personally, I would just go buy a cheap fleece blanket. They are inexpensive at places like Wal-Mart or Ikea. Usually $5 or less.

Wash and dry it a few times in hot water before you use it and you will be good to go.

amy92700

Cavy Gazer
that’s a good idea- whenever i can get to the store i will switch them out. thank you

amy92700

Cavy Gazer
i do have one more question tho, since i won’t have anything to put their water bottle on, do you think it’s a good idea to get a water bowl or to like try to attach the bottle to a grid and the play pen. charlie, one of my piggies, likes to flip over his food bowl already so unless i find something to keep the bowl down- i just see it going very badly

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can bend a grid and hang a water bottle on it. In my experience, water bowls get very nasty very quickly, and/or spilled all over the cage.

If you can find a soap dish with a flared bottom, they won't be able to flip it. In years of having guinea pigs, I've never had one flip one of those soap dishes.

amy92700

Cavy Gazer
oOo i do already have a bent grid from their cage that i would put hay in, i could use that. and i’m also going to the store now and could see what they have for bowl options just in case. i’m pretty sure everything’s good, but i will probably update later about how it went

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I found a terrific bowl for my boys that they can't tip nor can they slide it! And, best of all it is $5.99 with the benefit of being stainless and having a rubberized non-skid bottom. I found mine at a local Target store.

(broken link removed)

amy92700

Cavy Gazer
D4FFA204-A7F8-4906-B5C4-55062D396798.jpghere’s a pic before i add the water and hay- looks pretty good !

amy92700

Cavy Gazer
i only got to go to walmart today but that looks good if i get to target

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.