Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Boys all of a sudden chattering and fighting

Fyfemiester

Cavy Gazer
I've had 2 Guinea pigs for the last 2 or 3 months and they've been fine just the occasional rubble strut and stuff, never heard a chatter once.
And all of a sudden this morning they've been chattering and facing off and had a bit of a tussle, no blood and I've split them up.
They've been such good pals and now theyre squabbling and I don't really want to have to keep them separate any advice to calm them down?
They're still only young will they possibly grow out of it?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They're likely hitting puberty (around 5 or 6 months old ) and this sounds like normal behavior, especially for boars.

Don't separate them unless blood is drawn. They're at the point where they're trying to sort out who the dominant pig is.

How big is their cage? A cage that's too small can also contribute to aggression in pigs.

Fyfemiester

Cavy Gazer
The cage is pretty big we've got a something 120 and a play pen attached for them to run about in the cage is mainly just their toilet.
I've given them some food and brought them together again and they seemed to have calmed down.
I had heard about dog pheromone plugs help them is that possibly worth trying?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, dog phermone is NOT worth trying. Your pigs are going through a perfectly normal stage of life, and you'll just have to let them do it. Some pairs survive the experience, some don't.

But if you separate them every time they squabble, you're only making things worse. They have to work out which one is going to be the dominant pig. Pigs are wired to establish dominance, and every time they're separated and put together again, they start over from square one. Just let them be to work it out, unless there's obvious bleeding (nips don't count).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.