Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Should the mom and dad pig be together until she gives birth?

Wh33k

Cavy Slave
Hello!
I have a boy guinea pig named Hugo and a little girl guinea pig named Boot. They got a new hutch for Christmas, and since Hugo is not fixed I put a divider wall in to separate them. I wake up to find Boot has climbed the divider wall and squeezed through the maybe 1 inch gap on the top and gotten to Hugo. I'm going to be cautious and assume she's pregnant. We will be seeing a vet soon. Should I keep them separate until she's ready to give birth? She seems stressed out that she can't see him, and I'm assuming that would be bad for the babies. Also, any tips on pregnant guinea pigs would be appreciated.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Also please don't assume she's already pregnant. If they've only been together for a short time. She has to be in heat to be pregnant.

It's very important to separate them now in case she's not pregnant.

Wh33k

Cavy Slave
That's good to hear about her having to be in heat! I separated them as soon as I realized what happened. Thank you for the reassurance.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto @lissie on all counts. If he's with her when she delivers or miscarries, she can get pregnant again within minutes, and that's VERY hard on the sow and the second litter of pups.

You need a lid that will clamp down on her side of the cage. A determined male can push up the lid on his own side, but can't lift the lid on the female's side.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.