Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood Pellets/Chips Trying out wood pellets and vetbed

Marie1234

Cavy Slave
The pellets do not have to be changed weekly though correct? I though I read a post by [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] that said something like 6 or 8 weeks? I could be wrong though. My memory is not all that great lol.

I have not changed mine. My friend changes them every 8 weeks. It will depend on how much you put in the cage so when you stir it around there are still pellets to mix with the saw dust. I used one bag for a 2x4 cage and I will probably use 1.5 bags next time (40lbs), the bags are only $5 (CAD).

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm at six months or more on the pellets I've got in there now. The layer is about 3-4 inches deep, and I stir them once a month or so.

Squibbles

Cavy Gazer
I'm at six months or more on the pellets I've got in there now. The layer is about 3-4 inches deep, and I stir them once a month or so.

Wow! I thought you said 6 weeks but now I remember it was 6 months. That is incredible! Where are you guys buying the wood pellets? Are they expensive?

Just saw that [MENTION=40635]Marie1234[/MENTION] said that they were 5$!
[MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] is that all you use? Nothing on top of them?

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
You definitely will need a layer of fleece on top of the wood pellets to get that type of longevity!

I just wanted to chime in with the hand vac conversation. I had been considering one for a while and after seeing the recommendations by [MENTION=19714]spy9doc[/MENTION] I decided to just take the plunge and purchase the one she was talking about. I've only been using it for a week but I love it! It's super easy to empty and it sucks up poops extremely well. Strangely enough, only 2 of my 7 pigs have been frightened by it and after a week of everyday use they are both much better with it. I was anticipating most of them to be fairly upset by the sound, but frankly, most of my ladies were curious and then went about their regular business. I'm definitely happy with my purchase and it makes spot cleaning much faster! I found it for $70+tax on amazon.ca

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I do use a layer of light fleece over the pellets. But it's mainly because my pigs drag their food off the plate, and if I don't put the fleece in, they're eating the sawdust that sticks to the food.

I do have to say that I don't think the pellets would last that long if I didn't have such a deep layer. I think I've got 2.5 or 3 40-pound bags of pellets in there.

Marie1234

Cavy Slave
I'm in Canada and bought the pellets at Canadian Tire which is a home hardware type store. They were wood stove pellets rated suitable for use with pets.
You wouldn't need to wait for vetbed to try the pellets as you can just use the fleece you have. I do quite like the vetbed though.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to chime in with the hand vac conversation. I had been considering one for a while and after seeing the recommendations by @spy9doc I decided to just take the plunge and purchase the one she was talking about. I've only been using it for a week but I love it!

Thanks for your feedback, Sally! Yes, compared to several other models, the B&D that I love is a bit pricey, but I feel that it is worth every penny. Prior to purchasing it I would go through a vac in six months and something about it would malfunction. It was often the plug for the charging cord and it would render the vac useless. Happy to know that it works for you!

dawnmb57

Cavy Slave
I'm in Canada and bought the pellets at Canadian Tire which is a home hardware type store. They were wood stove pellets rated suitable for use with pets.
You wouldn't need to wait for vetbed to try the pellets as you can just use the fleece you have. I do quite like the vetbed though.
How do you clean up the wood pellets when they are dirty? Shop vac or vacuum attachment or something else?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

dawnmb57

Cavy Slave
What about bacteria breeding in all that wet wood?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You don't clean the wood pellets.

Pretty soon after you fill the cage with them, the top layer will turn to sawdust from the urine hitting it. It can then be swept just like a floor. I stir my pellets about every month or so, and then it takes another week for the "floor" to solidify again.

The biggest problem is that they are heavy. When I get ready to replace them, I bring in a rolling garbage can and just shovel them from the cage into the can.

[MENTION=40578]dawnmb57[/MENTION], the pellets disintegrate into sawdust and dry out pretty quickly. And wood has some antibacterial properties itself. I've used pellets for years and never had a problem.

Marie1234

Cavy Slave
You don't clean the wood pellets.

Pretty soon after you fill the cage with them, the top layer will turn to sawdust from the urine hitting it. It can then be swept just like a floor. I stir my pellets about every month or so, and then it takes another week for the "floor" to solidify again.

The biggest problem is that they are heavy. When I get ready to replace them, I bring in a rolling garbage can and just shovel them from the cage into the can.

[MENTION=40578]dawnmb57[/MENTION], the pellets disintegrate into sawdust and dry out pretty quickly. And wood has some antibacterial properties itself. I've used pellets for years and never had a problem.

Do your wood pellets swell and create little hills?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yep. But if they bother you, you can just lift the fleece and knock them down.

dawnmb57

Cavy Slave
Got my hand vac and can't wait to try it!

dawnmb57

Cavy Slave

boopy

Cavy Slave
What are wood pellets, if you don't mind me asking?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm at around six months with the pellets in my cage, and nowhere near needing to replace them.

dawnmb57

Cavy Slave
The Shark or the B&D that I recommended?
I bought the Black & Decker hand vac and the Shark Navigator! I am having so much fun cleaning!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.