Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grids uggg.. feeling stuck about c&c and its instability

3boys2piggies

Cavy Slave
ok so we just got our 2 piggies 12.17, had them when i was younger so i am familiar with everything they need and how they are. Want my boys to have guinea love! anyways, i bought some whitmore cubes and built a 3x2 grid stand to hold our temporary living world cage. Getting those cages in those clamps and keeping them in was TERRIBLE! they are not sturdy even with zip ties and the thought of a covered 2x4 cage with a 2x2 loft on top makes me cringe. Anyone have words of encouragement?? I was going to spend a ton of money in the guineapigcages store and buy some fleece flippers and such too... but now i am second guessing :( It looks and feels so cheap!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They are stable, very stable, when using zip ties. Tie them diagonally across the corners, each way. and put a drop of glue on it.

3boys2piggies

Cavy Slave
so are you saying forget the clips it comes with?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, use them too, although the cage can be built without them if you prefer. Use a pair of pliers to snap the grids tightly into the connectors, then zip-tie across the corners of the grids, not the connectors.

3boys2piggies

Cavy Slave
ok! ya i will use them since it would probably change the dimensions a bit

lissie

Cavy Slave
Re: uggg.. feeling stuck about c&c and its instability

Make sure the zip ties you use are the thicker ones, not the thin 4" ones.
The strength on the label should say 75lbs.

Edit to add:

There's a detailed instruction here on how to build the stand.

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Yes, those "clips" are meant to stabilize the grids. They can be tricky sometimes though. For the most part they are just fine but I've had some very tight fits with those where it was difficult to push the grid into the slots. The thing is to just make sure each grid corner gets all the way into the clip. You should hear a soft click and if you look underneath the clip, the grid corner should fit right up against the center of the clip. If it's not all the way in, it could result in some wiggling.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Personally I don't use the connectors... I can't stand them. I have a stacked C&C which is very stable and only built out of the grids and zip ties. It's very sturdy!

3boys2piggies

Cavy Slave
Personally I don't use the connectors... I can't stand them. I have a stacked C&C which is very stable and only built out of the grids and zip ties. It's very sturdy!

Do you have an issue with the purchased liners fitting? I plan on making my own but buying some at first, seeing what I like and don?t like and then making my own

3boys2piggies

Cavy Slave
Yes, those "clips" are meant to stabilize the grids. They can be tricky sometimes though. For the most part they are just fine but I've had some very tight fits with those where it was difficult to push the grid into the slots. The thing is to just make sure each grid corner gets all the way into the clip. You should hear a soft click and if you look underneath the clip, the grid corner should fit right up against the center of the clip. If it's not all the way in, it could result in some wiggling.

ya I think that’s my issue.... they feel like they are all the way in but I dont think some are.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
@3boys2piggies I can't comment on if pre-made liners will fit. I have never bought liners, I always make my own, so I haven't encountered that issue!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I have a good bit of experience with cage making. My cage (and stand) is so sturdy that I can sit or lie in it. I'll be happy to contribute to the conversation.....assuming that I can access the Forum. I haven't been able to connect and log on for nearly a week. Something amiss with my modem/router. I have just about gone into withdrawal! :crazy:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@spy9doc, wanna debug?

Can you connect to the internet at all?

If not, the easiest fix is to get a new router. You may be renting one from your ISP, in which case you just turn it in for a new one. If you own it, find out which models your ISP uses and get one that's compatible, and plug it in.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.