Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Are pine wood shavings safe for guinea pigs?

thequeenofpigs

Cavy Slave
I usually purchase my guinea pigs' bedding & hay at a small pet store (can't remember the name right now). However, since I'm currently sick & with that pet store being at least 40 minutes away, I resorted to going to a nearby PetSmart instead & bought some pine wood shavings. I'm wondering if this sort of bedding is safe for my guinea pigs? I've done a bit of research & some sources say yes while others say no but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the help!! :)

(Also, the brand is Grreat Choice.)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It depends. You don't want anything that smells strongly of pine. So if the shavings have been kiln-dried, they're probably ok.

mcbean2006

Cavy Slave
Pine shavings are safe if you mix it up and let it sit for a day or 2. It’s smell won’t be as strong. The longer it sits, the better. Be wary. Carefresh is a good brand.( it’s made of recycled paper.)

mcbean2006

Cavy Slave
I would not by pine often. Only when you need to.:)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@mcbean2006, that's not totally true of pine shavings. Pine shavings that are not kiln dried are not safe for pigs, and it takes months for the oils to dissipate. You should never use plain pine shavings that haven't been kiln dried.

mcbean2006

Cavy Slave
Oh, thank you bpatters! Good to know:)

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
bought some pine wood shavings. I'm wondering if this sort of bedding is safe for my guinea pigs?

I'm not a fan of pine shavings, but not for the reasons that have been discussed. It seems to be an issue only if one has male cavies......and I've seen it happen on several occasions and in different environments. For some reason, boars tend to get the shavings stuck in the penile sheath and then can't retract the penis.

I once went into Petco to buy litter and spotted a surrendered cavy in a small cage near the checkout counters. I asked if I could please hold him and upon his being handed to me, I spotted the extruded penis that wouldn't retract. I asked for some q-tips and proceeded to clean his penis right then and there. They still remember me at that store! :crazy:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.