Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions First time guinea pig owner

jds2017

Cavy Slave
I just got my little piggy she?s a baby. I got her two Houses like domes. How long until she gets use to her home? Should I take her out everyday to play with her? Also should I cover her cage at night?
53e4c9d11a858d73575457e5223a69b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
It isn't necessary to cover a guinea pig cage at night. I never did.

Once she's had a couple days to "settle in," it should be fine to begin taking her out.

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
Best for her is to get her a friend!

Most piggies warm up to their humans through food. Offer her bits of veggies to entice her to approach your hand and take the veggies from you. Show her the hand isn’t scary but brings yummy things.

When on your lap, some piggies prefer to have something to cover them, some don’t mind being in the open, but food is always good.

Always keep in mind that a guinea pig is a prey animal and their instinct is to run and hide, this is no reflection on you or your relationship with the piggie. It takes time for them to get used to you and some will always keep running when you try and pick them up even though they may like being on your lap after the scary pick up.

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the world of piggies!

What kind of cage are you keeping her in? Guinea pigs need large cages and will feel safer in their new home if they have many places to hide and room to run.

It completely depends on the piggie when it comes to how quickly they adapt to new situations.

Really its up to you whether you want take her out every day or not. Keep in mind they are naturally prey animals and will be scared of being picked up. My reccomendation is to wait till she gets into a tunnel or something and pick up the tunnel.

Remember foods always a good bribe and a good bonding method.

I would say no to covering her cage. They are not going to go to sleep at night. While they are not nocturnal they are awake some of the night.

Guinea pigs will take naps throughout the day and night and will not sleep through the night. It may also cause poor circulation if you cover the cage.

Like mentioned above you really do need to get her a friend. They are highly social animals.

Good luck with your new little friend :)

jds2017

Cavy Slave
I am getting her a friend as soon as she has her first check up after Christmas. Also I am getting her bigger cage Friday. And the tunnel worked for a few days but I think she knows now I only put it in the cage when it?s time to clean I have put snacks food hay anything I think of she wants no part of her tunnel know. Because she knows I think she?s about to be taken out. Today she was running around so I googled and that?s a good thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3boys2piggies

Cavy Slave
It isn't necessary to cover a guinea pig cage at night. I never did.

Once she's had a couple days to "settle in," it should be fine to begin taking her out.

hello gandalf! i was wondering if you could tell me what you used for the middle of that cage to make the perfect 2x grid size mid loft. Also what table are you using?? i need to make 2 of these. way better than my set up now.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Cute pig!

If those "houses with domes" are pigloos, cut another door in them. The air circulation in them is terrible, and the pigs spend a lot of time in their own waste. And with two pigs, they're just an invitation for one pig to trap the other and get its face slashed for its efforts. If I had my way, it would be illegal to sell them.

Here's some recommended reading for new pet owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.