Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Dogs and guinea pigs

Rockzilla77

Cavy Slave
Hello! So my dad, brother and I were thinking of getting my mom a dog for Christmas and we wanted to know what dogs go good with guinea pigs we have 2 pigs btw I know no hunter dogs could you give me some suggestions on some dogs small or large that would be good with the pigs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lissie

Cavy Slave
I would not let them interact. Can you keep the cage on a table or in a room where the dog cannot access?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

OliverAndOscar

Cavy Slave
As long as you keep the dog and guinea pigs separated it will be fine. I have two guinea pigs and two dogs, and everything is fine. I don't let the dogs in my room just in case, but they're both very calm around the pigs. I have an old beagle basset hound who absolutely adores my guinea pigs. When I hold them, he just looks at them and starts to wag his nub of a tail. But still, I don't let them get too close. It mostly depends on the personality of the dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShayPiggiesnHam

Cavy Slave
One of my dogs who is very calm (14 years) has always had a relationship with my pigs even when I was a kid. He will put his feet up on their cage and lick them through the bars and they’ll popcorn away and then come back for more. ��

Momto2Ds

Cavy Gazer
I had until this week 2 guinea pigs (one sadly passed away). They are in a 2x4 cage on the floor in our main living area. We brought home a labradoodle puppy this summer (now 7 months old). He loves the girls! He lays by their cage to say good night, and they come up and touch his nose with theirs. In fact, on Monday, when we lost a piggy, our puppy would not leave the cage. he kept looking for Spencer, and was very upset. Since then, he has been spending a lot more time near the cage and Cindy comes right up to him whenever he is there!

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Labs are known to adopt other animals! But all dogs are hunting dogs of some type. Sorry about your piggie! But labs and poodle are hunting animals. Sounds like yours has more lab in it but poodles are very much a hunting breed. Please be careful. Most dogs will smell your sent (misspelled) and know that animal is pack but that piggie runs around, your dog might “play” and hurt it. Please be careful! I’ve intro my dog with my girls but I don’t let her anywhere near them without me and never let my girls on the floor when Abby is around. She is a whiner dog, they like to chase!

Momto2Ds

Cavy Gazer
Oh, I don't leave the pets alone. They are always supervised because... pets are animals and animals will always have instincts regardless of how domesticated they are!! I do love to see how the Whiskey and Cindy interact through the cage though!! And Whiskey is still going over looking for Spencer... Poor thing.

KiraD

Cavy Gazer
My apartment is being de-bugged *nasty icky bed bugs* and my apartment manager and his wife are helping me with everything. This includes taking care of my Princess. They're spoiling her rotten and she's soaking up every bit of it. Thing is, they have two teacup chihuahuas, Missy and Gizmo, who love to play with her. I walked in on a Chase Me Chase You moment where they'd chase her, then she'd run after them popcorning and wheeking all the while. Tail wagging and happy sounds all around. Gizmo, the smallest, has taken to sneaking into the fleece bed where Princess sleeps and cuddles. It's absolutely adorable. :D

Lissymutt

Cavy Gazer
I have my pigs up on a table and a small 10lb dog. The dog can get nose to nose with them if he rests his feet on the table but they seem to get along just fine. My dog sniffs at them and Mocha sniffs right back, but Oreo just ignores him. Mocha and my dog have come nose to nose several times and are fine. I think it all depends on the dog and the pig. I'd never leave them roaming free together but my dog can't harm them and they don't seem to be stressed by him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.