Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Diarrhea Odd poop

Piggylover1998

Cavy Slave
I have two skinny pigs in the same cage and out of nowhere they both have abnormal poop. Their poops were very sticky and had no shape to them when I first noticed, so I went and got them probiotics. Over the last five days it has really
Improved a lot, but it?s still not to the point where their poops are as firm as they should be. They are still sticky sometimes and sometimes they are smaller or pointed. The only thing I noted that may have contributed is they had a lot of romaine one day ( but once their poops changed they didn?t get anymore vegetables and they still haven?t ) and I also got them oxbow vitamin c, and oxbow digestive support tablets that they have been out of for a month because the area I live in I have to look a lot for them. Does anyone have any ideas as to what caused it, and anything else that could help fix it ? Cleaning their fleece everyday because of stinky poops is really awful.
Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd take them off the vitamin C and the digestive support tablets so they're only eating hay and pellets. If things clear up in 48 hours, then you can start added veggies back one at a time, 48 hours between each new one, and see how that goes. If they get worse, or don't improve after 48 hours, then see a vet.

I tend to think they've got some mild GI problem since they both have it. It's not impossible for both of them to have the same reaction to a vegetable, but it's not as likely.

Piggylover1998

Cavy Slave
Do you think they?re possibly having GI issues because they?re recently in the same cage ? I heard that stress can cause GI issues, but they seem to be getting along. They sometimes chase one another but other than that they?re good and they sleep with one another. If it is the oxbow tabs do you know of any other supplements they could take without their stomachs becoming upset ? Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You don't know yet what's causing it, so there's no point in hunting remedies. If the hay/pellet diet doesn't clear it up, you need to see a vet.

I doubt seriously that it's stress. And if they're getting good quality pellets, hay and veggies, they don't need supplements. Bell pepper is a much better source of vitamin C than Oxbow tablets.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.