Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications Can Baytril and Revolution be taken together?

Geranium

Cavy Slave
Got my pig to the vet and she?s been prescribed revolution for suspected mites and Baytril for a small respiratory infection. Her lungs sounded okay but an X-ray was done and persuaded the vet to begin treatment due to some ambiguity around her lungs. Neither condition is severe. Her and her cage mate have already been given the revolution - they split 1 dose of 15 mg, 0.25 mL selamectin. She?s prescribed Baytril Susp 22.7mg/ml, give 0.5 ml by mouth every 12 hours for 14 days. She?s 1200g. I?m worried about the antibiotic as is, so I?m wondering if taking it in conjunction with the revolution will pose any problems. You would think the vet would mention it if it was a problem but they were rushed today.

I don't know of any drug interactions between Baytril and Revolution. I know it is very common in dogs and cats to use antibiotics and antiparasitics at the same time.

I don't know of any reason they can't be used at the same time.

Thanks guys. Also does this seem like a reasonable dose for her weight? And is 14 days a long time? It's a new vet so just second-guessing everything.

Quick update and question:

Opal was on Baytril for 10 days (shortened duration after talking with vet). She got off the meds about two days before I left for vacation. I was gone for five days while her and Odette were with a petsitter. When I got home from my trip I weighed her and she's down to 1129g. She normally hovers around 1200g, so this is weigh loss of about 70g = 2.5 oz. So now I'm inbetween being on 'alert' and going 'red alert' according to guinealynx. I just got back and I feel like the weight loss was a combination of the antibiotic affecting her gut (she was not prescribed a probiotic - when I inquired the vet said it wasn't necessary) and me being gone/stressing her out. Have you guys experienced weight loss after returning from vacation or something? Also should I try giving her a probiotic now to see if that would help? I have been watching her all morning and she's still eating and drinking and seems happy to have me back. Obviously if she gets down to 1115 I'll be getting a visit set up.

I'd get some benebac and give it to her. The weight loss is probably due to the Baytril, and it can take several days for the gut to get back to normal after it's discontinued. Being in a new place can also make them reluctant to eat.

I'd weigh daily for a while, first thing in the morning before breakfast, and see if things stabilize or, we hope, she starts gaining a little again. Do be aware that it takes adult guinea pigs a LONG time to gain weight, so don't be discouraged if her weight goes up slowly. That's perfectly normal.

I'm waiting for a callback from my vet because nowhere around here has bene-bac in stock. Would the oxbow natural science digestive supplement work? Or the acidophilus tablet I'm seeing in other forums?

Acidophilus will work, or kyodophilus. Bene-Bac is available from feed stores, sometimes from pet stores, and always from Amazon.

My vet got back to me and suggested critical care and oxbow digestive support. She also said she did not know of any OTC probiotic proven safe and effective for guinea pigs. I brought up Acidophilus and she said she would not recommend it, and when I asked if they had Bene-bac she said she hadn't even heard of it. I'm starting to doubt her and the entire clinic. The fact that she didn't put her on a probiotic to begin with and then immediately resorts to critical care seems unprofessional. I'm not doing critical care because the syringing for the meds freaked her out enough as it was. And she is slowly gaining - up to 1154 today.

Her cagemate is now obviously sneezing, so was it also a bad call for my vet to not treat her too? I have Baytril in the tablet form from a time I decided not to use antibiotics, so I could get her started. Just not trying to make a cycle out of it, and now wondering if I should get a new vet!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.