Thanks
    5 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

How do you guys wash fleece to take away smell? liners still smelling

Hi Guys,
    I have been using fleece for my 3 piggies in my 2x7 cage for three years now. I still have the same liners that I made using fleece and thick towels. I find that my fleece is still smelly after washing though. I have at least 10-12 liners and I would hate to have to throw them out. I wash them in hot water with vinegar and bleach with nonscented laundry detergent and I presoak and do extra rinse on them, The load takes about 2 hours in the washer but, I still find that they come out of the dryer smelly. Is there anything else I can do to try to get the smell out of the fleece or is it time to make or buy new liners?
    Thanks in Advance for any suggestions!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,316 Rec'd/1,684 Posts
    Mentioned
    487 Post(s)
    Quoted
    982 Post(s)

Re: How do you guys wash fleece to take away smell? liners still smelling

I think OxiClean works better than bleach. I use a cup of OxiClean in my piggies laundry with a little bit of Tide unscented detergent. Put vinegar in the rinse cycle. It always comes out with no smell.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

When I adopted my last guinea pigs the previous caretakers had them on fleece, not sure if they had anything underneath or not but I will tell you.... they STANK!!

They were "clean" but they smelled like cow manure or a really dirty barn. Even the pigs reeked, I had to bathe them. Anyways, the fleece was nice so I tried to wash to stink out.

What worked was soaking all night in bleach and unscented tide and hottest water. Next day I started the washing machine and added vinegar to the rinse cycle. When they came out of the dryer they were much better but still a little smelly so I did it again and voil?... they smell nice and clean now.

Good luck

PS don't put bleach and vinegar together since vinegar will eliminate the effectiveness of the bleach. When I was younger I liked doing tie-dye and that's how we would stop the process of the bleaching and not ruin the clothes.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

So my advice to you is to ditch the towels as the absorbent layer. I don't think they are strong enough to soak up urine as well as not staying smelly. I use uhaul pads and my liners never smell after they're washed. I also use all free of perfumes and dyes! Hope this helps!

User Tag List