Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy how to tell if my pig is pregnant please help

gretaw892

Cavy Gazer
image.jpgi?m babysitting my friends guinea pigs to ?test run? if i want to get guinea pigs myself. when i received the pigs (two ?females?). she said she has had them for about 2 years if that helps anything but one guinea pig (reese?s) is much larger and very pear shaped compared to coco. i have had them for little less than a week but have noticed reese?s comes to eat and eats much more than coco does also coco frequently make low rumbling noises that i have read boars commonly make. i have a slight feeling reese?s might be pregnant but i am not sure please help i can post pictures

Last edited:

gretaw892

Cavy Gazer

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'll post a link below, but turn both pigs over and compare their private parts. If they're the same, she's not pregnant. If they're different, she could be, and that could be a real problem if this is her first pregnancy and she's two or older. The pelvic ligaments in guinea pigs start stiffening around eight or nine months of age, and delivery becomes increasingly difficult. Older sows pregnant for the first time are in much greater danger of dying during delivery than younger sows. So if she is pregnant, and if this is her first litter, an exotic vet needs to be lined up in case she has trouble with the delivery. It would also be a good idea to have an x-ray done very late in the pregnancy to see how many pups there are and how large they are. If she has several small ones, she may be deliver OK. If she has a large one, probably not.

Also, if they are different sexes, separate them NOW. If she delivers, or miscarries, she can get pregnant again within minutes of birth. And back-to-back pregnancies are VERY hard on the sow and the second litter of pups.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.