Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Play Horrible odor coming from male/female pair???

maxxnrubyy

Cavy Slave
Every time my male & female run around together the room gets some horrible odor and I have no clue what it is?! Is it pee?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, it's boar stank.

But why are you letting them run around together? It takes seconds for guinea pigs to mate, and if you sneezed, you'd miss it entirely. Please do not risk the life and health of your sow be letting her get pregnant.

maxxnrubyy

Cavy Slave
Not trying to be rude but what is so horrible about guinea pigs mating? If I want to keep the babies and raise them as a family why can?t I? I believe that like humans, it?s the guinea pigs choice. If the female doesn?t want to mate she makes it clear. If it?s meant to be, it should be able to be. I just don?t understand. Like I said, I?m not at all being rude, but it?s so confusing to me. I?ve witnessed multiple Guinea Pig births & also heard of many Guinea Pig births & not one of them had ANY issues. I?m sorry maybe I?m just not understanding.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The death rate for guinea pig sows and pups is high, in no small part because the pups are huge in relation to the sow, and the death rate in childbirth is high.

Guinea pigs are susceptible to a number of genetic diseases that can cause lifelong problems and abnormalities. Satins can have osteodystrophy, a very painful bone disease. Lethal whites are blind, deaf, with wonky teeth and immature digestive systems. And those are only two of the problems that can occur.

Do you know the characteristics of pigs who can produce those abnormalities? And can you say for sure that your pigs don't carry those abnormal genes? And if your pigs do produce pups with either of those characteristics, do you have the thousands of dollars it will take for their vet bills? And the patience to care for blind, deaf pigs their entire lives?

Guinea pig sows don't "choose" when to mate. Sows are receptive to males when they're at a certain point in their reproductive cycle, but it's not a choice. It's totally controlled by hormones.

There are thousands of unwanted guinea pigs in rescues and shelters that need good homes, and there's no need to ever deliberately breed another guinea pig. There are enough accidental pregnancies to keep the species going forever.

Just so you're aware, this forum is strongly anti-breeding, and is both pro-adoption and pro-rescue. You may participate in the forum if you choose to breed your guinea pigs, but you may not display pictures, nor ask for or offer any information on breeding.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I?ve witnessed multiple Guinea Pig births & also heard of many Guinea Pig births & not one of them had ANY issues. I?m sorry maybe I?m just not understanding.

From my own personal experience, I can tell you that if you have witness many guinea pig births and none have had any issues then you have been very fortunate.

I myself have taken in many already pregnant sows over the years, and about half of those have had some form of complications. I had four sows with at least one stillborn pup in their litters, one sow had a litter of 4 stillborns not a single live pup. I have had a sow miscarry under my care, and she died 2 days after miscarrying despite my vets best efforts and an emergency spay to stop her massive blood loss. I have had a sow retain a placenta after birthing a healthy litter of two, I nearly lost her, she was on deaths door for days afterwards but my vet was able to get her through it. I have had a sow die while heavily pregnant, her necropsy revealed she had a heart defect, which combined with the strain of being heavily pregnant with a litter of 6 caused their death. I have had a sow with a large pup that got stuck, she was finally able to push out the pup after 2 hours at the vet (had she not pushed it out she would have gone in for surgery but the vet was very honest that they didn't think she would make it through surgery if it did come to that), she was exhausted and needed intensive nursing to pull her through it. I have had a pup born with birth defects that affected its ability to breath properly, likely as the result of inbreeding, that pup died before it turned 2 weeks old. I have also had sows birth with no complications at all, but to downplay the risks of complications just because you haven't personally seen it is foolish.

maxxnrubyy

Cavy Slave
No need to be rude, lol. Simply stated that I didn?t understand & bpatters explained to me. Didn?t need your rude input. Thanks though.

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
Nobody has been rude... yet...

Are you still having the male and female play together?
Your female just gave birth and can get pregnant again within minutes after giving birth, this is very bad for the sow. If she’s had playtime with the male she may very well be pregnant again already.
You need to make sure to seperate any male babies from any female piggies at three weeks of age because they will get mom pregnant and at four weeks old any baby female may get pregnant too.

Please be responsible with your pets!

maxxnrubyy

Cavy Slave
I?m very responsible with my pets, thank you very much. ;-)

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
So you are going to keep the male away from the female(s) and make sure that if (one of the) babies is male to keep them away from any females too once he reaches three weeks of age!

Good for you!

maxxnrubyy

Cavy Slave
Is there a way to get rid of boar stank?

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Neutering could help with the odor. It's a fairly simple procedure and I highly recommend it if you want to keep your female and male together. I've had two done with very little problem one had a post-surgery abscess), and they do smell better now.

maxxnrubyy

Cavy Slave
How much does a neuter cost?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You'd have to call local exotic vets and ask. Vet costs vary widely across the country, and even within the same city. I once had a sow with bladder stones, and got three estimates -- $400, $650, and $2400, all within Houston.

maxxnrubyy

Cavy Slave
Wow! I was trying to find an estimate but I guess there?s no way to find out other than call! Thanks !

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.