Thread: My fleece purchase on Black Friday!

Thanks
    Thanks
    648 Rec'd/557 Posts
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Quoted
    340 Post(s)

My fleece purchase on Black Friday!

I usually buy my yearly Black Friday fleece purchases online from Joann Fabric but this year I decided to go to my local store. After choosing the patterns I wanted I stepped up to the very crowded cutting counter. When my turn came the clerk started cutting my fleece into the yardage that I wanted. During that time she began chatting with me about the cute patterns that I had chosen. Since I only have female piggies I always look for animal patterns. This year I chose monkeys, llamas, and sheep. The clerk then proceeded to ask me if I was making Christmas gifts for small children. I just laughed and said no I use the fleece for my guinea pigs cages. I can't describe the look that she gave me. The only comment she made was wow your guinea pigs sure do live in comfort.

Have any of you ever received a strange look or comment when you purchase fleece and tell them it's for guinea pigs? I guess only a cavy lover would understand why we spent outrageous amounts of money to keep these little creatures comfortable and happy. I always tell my friends that since we don't have to save for our pig's college educations I don't mind going out of my way to decorate their cages.

I do realize that my attention to detail in their cages is more appreciated by me than it is by them. They have no problem soiling the cute fleece within minutes of changing their cages. Lol!

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,463 Rec'd/1,201 Posts
    Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1084 Post(s)

Re: My fleece purchase on Black Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
    Have any of you ever received a strange look or comment when you purchase fleece and tell them it's for guinea pigs?
    Ha! It has happened more times than I can remember. It is definitely a conversation starter and gives me the opportunity to teach about the care of cavies. One year the fellow behing the cutting counter at Joanne Fabrics also had cavies and was very eager to know exactly what and how I was going to use my BF haul. A couple of years ago I decided to go the online route and ordered about 10 yards or so of the same pattern at a great discount. Alas, it lies waiting for me as the current liners are absolutely in tatters. I can't complain......my liners are about 7 years old!

Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

same thing has happened to me quite a few times! one time i was in joann's just browsing with two rolls stuck under my arm when another shopper complemented on my choice of fleece, i then told her i planned on making it into a cage liner for my 3 guinea pigs just to see what she said. she was very enthusiastic and lit up, asking all sorts of questions! she thought it was the neatest thing ever and was amazed people did that, she thought it was super cool after i showed her pictures of the girls then their cage. she nudged her husbands arm and wanted him to see the pictures as well, i even heard her talking about it after she went down another isle!

Thanks
    Thanks
    485 Rec'd/389 Posts
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    202 Post(s)

This summer Fabricland was having an amazing sale so I stopped in and was taking my time matching up solids and prints to make new accessories for the girls. The woman at the counter gave me the strangest look when I said it was for guinea pigs. LOL, I imagine it was similar to the look you were given. She was pretty speechless after that and I had no idea what to say!

I also had an interesting interaction at another fabric store buying cotton batting for cuddle cups. A clerk was appalled to hear I had guinea pigs that I kept inside as house pets and was adamant that I should let them live outside... I didn't really know how to respond to that one either.

Unfortunately Joann's doesn't ship to Canada anymore, as that is where I used to purchase all my fleece. So now I have to deal with the interesting employees at my local fabric stores!

Thanks
    Thanks
    155 Rec'd/121 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

I was in the fleece section of Fabricland in North Bay this fall. There were two other shoppers buying for pet accessories - one for a cat and one for a dog. We had a great conversation about colours and anti-pill. We all agreed we spend too much on our fur-babies.
    They seem to get a lot of customers buying for dog beds. I have met a salesperson who made beds for her rats.

User Tag List