Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding How to interact with guinea pigs?

serina

Cavy Slave
Hello!
I am 13 years old, just got my first piggies a few days ago and my dad is helping me to take care of them. They are Apollo and Athena and are both girls. I always give them appropriate food, keep their cage clean, give lots of water etc. I also always do my research on various sources. But I was wondering, when should I start having floor time with them? And what are the best ways to approach and interact with them?
Both are very young, they are 2 months old, and Apollo is already getting used to me, but Athena is still a little bit scared. I would like to hear you guys tips for bonding with them! Thanks in advance!

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Hello!

Congratulations on your piggies, glad you have a pair of girls. Have they been to the vet? Would you be able to post a picture of the page, it would help answer your questions :) Until then this is what I have learned:
Patience is key. It takes a while for them to get used to you. Do you have a play pen for them? I took some grids connected with zipties to create a large enough play pen for both my husband and myself to sit in. If you want some pictures of what this looks like let me know. I then use a storage basket that I covered in a small fleece blanket. I place it in my guinea pigs cage and they jump in it. I gently pick them up in the basket and then place then in the play pen with me. I have lots of hideouts and tunnels for them to run around while they are out. I also have a pile of their veggies near me. I quietly talk to them and hold out my hand with some veggies in them. Just let them grab the veggies from you. Food is a great motivator for them and to be used for bonding. If they are too scared to come near you just wait and maybe spread some out in the play pen. Also put some in the basket so they think the basket is good as well. If I pick up my girls I pick them up from the basket. This way they don't view me as a super scary predator and I don't spend forever chasing them. If you do pet them only try on their head or neck. The back is scary because they cant see it so unless medically necessary I avoid petting the back. Hopefully this helps, let me know if you have any questions and please send a picture of your current set up!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.