Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Can't find a proper vet in Bangalore

Muzikbrat

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

I just joined this forum. So, I have a pair oh guinea pigs, chilli and pepper. The lady who sold them to us said they were both girls. But about 2-3 weeks ago, pepper started getting bigger. So we got really scared and thought it might be bloating. So we to them to a vet. He had absolutely zero knowledge about guinea pigs. He advised us to reduce leafy food and give them nuts. The whole internet advices to stay away from nuts!!!. So anyways he prescribed calcium and vitamin syrup (which is for cats and dogs) and a digestive syrup (again for cats and dogs) to be fed to the piggies. Now pepper seems to be getting fatter by the day, so I decided to check chilli's gender. I think she might be a boy because chilli doesn't have any nipples. Also I had noticed chilli always trying to mount pepper and we mistook their mating squeeks as them being very very happy. Currently I'm still not sure on what to do. Moreover Incase chilli Is a boy, he needs to be neutered. I definitely do not trust this vet, but I'm not able to find anyone else. Is there any good vet for guinea pigs in Bangalore? Really need information as soon as possible

Thanks

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can turn them over and compare their genitals to see if you've got a boy and a girl. If so, separate them immediately. If the female is pregnant and miscarries, she can get pregnant again within minutes of delivery, and a back-to-back pregnancy is VERY hard on the sow and the second litter of pups.

We don't have any information on vets in Bangalore, and at the moment, no forum users from India at all. My suggestion would be to google "exotic vets Bangalore" without the quotes -- there are several exotic vets there, but I have no way of knowing how close you might be to any of them. If that doesn't work out, you might contact the zoo and see if someone there could either see your pigs, or recommend someone who can.

BTW, both male and female guinea pigs normally have nipples.

Here's some recommended reading about guinea pig care:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Since you're pretty much on your own for medical care, take a look at https://www.guinealynx.info -- there's lots of medical info over there.

Muzikbrat

Cavy Slave
Thank you sooo much. I did some research on exotic pets vet. Found a few numbers and will contact them soon.

Muzikbrat

Cavy Slave
Hi,

So my pepper gave birth to 2 babies at night. It was a very happy moment today morning
As you had mentioned, chilli started trying to impregnate pepper again. This made pepper very angry and uncomfortable. So we are keeping chilli in solitude. But he is very angry about this. It's also upsetting us to see him so alone. We have booked an appointment with the doctor for his neutering surgery, but till the surgery is done we are keeping him away. I just wanted to ask if he will be fine on his own for a few days? I am concerned because they are social animals.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
If your male was with your female when she gave birth it is likely she is already impregnated again.

If you are getting your male neutered he needs to be kept separate from your female for 4 weeks after his surgery to allow any live sperm to die off. Yes, they are social creatures but he will survive the time apart.

Remember to separate any male babies from mom at 21 days old.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You've undoubtedly got a pregnant guinea pig. They can get pregnant within minutes of giving birth. I gather you didn't take my recommendation to separate them before the pups came, so now you're got a sow in a very stressful situation. She won't even have time to recover from the birth of the first litter, and the second litter will take an extra heavy toll on her body.

The male may not like it, but he'll survive without her. Do NOT put them back together -- if she miscarries this second litter, he can impregnate her a third time.

Make sure she gets a very good quality pellet, good quality hay, and good, fresh vegetables. Supplement her with vitamin C, and if you can find some Vita Drops mutli vitamins, give her a few drops of those three or four times a week. She's going to need very good care to get through this pregnancy, if she is pregnant, and you need to be very sure she's got the vitamins, minerals, and food she needs.

Muzikbrat

Cavy Slave
Yes we are feeding her everything necessary. We weren't sure of when she would give birth, since we weren't able to find a proper vet near by.

Yes keeping chilli far away

Thank you SOOOO much for the help

Hazelmuffin

Cavy Slave
Thank you sooo much. I did some research on exotic pets vet. Found a few numbers and will contact them soon.

Hi, could you kindly share this info with me?
I live in Bangalore too, and have been seeing a vet in Koramangala for my cavy's needs.
Although he seems reasonably well-versed with her issues, I'd feel a lot better if I could consult a doc who specializes in guinea pigs.

Thank you!

Muzikbrat

Cavy Slave
My piggy hurt her foot and was hesitant to walk. So the doctor "Dr. V Mahesh" prescribed painkiller for her. So along side he gave Proviboost drops too. Now I feed my piggy spinach, cucumber, rich gourd, carrot, beetroot, tomato, cauliflower leaves(only leaves). We tried giving her pellets, but since she doesn't drink water , she did not enjoy the dry food. Should I continue with this proviboost drops? She has reduced eating? I don't like medicine going into her body 😣

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I would not use the Proviboost. It's not made specifically for guinea pigs, and has fat soluble vitamins in it. Because guinea pigs are essentially just little balls of fat and fur, it's fairly easy for them to get too many of the fat soluble substances.

She may not be eating as much because she's in pain. Did he give her any pain medication?

Go easy on the spinach -- it's very high in calcium and vitamin A, both of which can cause problems if the pig eats too much. Her main food should be hay, with no more than a cup of other veggies per day.

Muzikbrat

Cavy Slave
Hi,
My piggy pooped finally after 2 days. The stupid vet prescribed her antibiotics that I read online were dangerous for guinea pigs. I stopped it immediately. But she didn't poop. So I fed her "poop soup". After a few drops of that, her appetite increased. She pooped a few minutes ago. I literally started crying with happiness. Every vet turns into a a disappointment. But thanks everyone for the advices. I feel at least I can get the right advice from someone

Muzikbrat

Cavy Slave
Hi,

One of my other guinea pigs started crying in the morning. I had to go out today so I have not been able to observe him for the whole day. His symptoms are
1. Softly crying
2. Stomach moving near backside
3. Not lying down, sitting since morning

He is eating but less.
My parents took him to a vet, the vet prescribed painkiller and that proviboost drops again. I called up the vet because my parents were not able to explain properly. He shouted at me for reading on net (the internet save my other piggy's life last time). So yes he didn't even explain it to me what he thinks might be the issue. So now I am scared. He is pooping and peeing. I narrowed down the issue to either UTI, bloating or diarrhea.
Can anyone help me further in diagnosis or suggest some remedies
Thank you

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He might also have bladder stones. I'd want an x-ray to rule that in or out before I even started on anything else.

Is he losing weight? Is he crying while peeing/pooping?

Muzikbrat

Cavy Slave
He might also have bladder stones. I'd want an x-ray to rule that in or out before I even started on anything else.

Is he losing weight? Is he crying while peeing/pooping?

I don't see him crying for the past 2-3 hrs. This started today morning itself and he is fine weight Wise. He is nice and chubby. He is 3 months old, can bladder stones develop at such a young age?
While pooping he is definitely not crying, while peeing he was crying before, but not anymore

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.