Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Blood in urine

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
My 4 year old guinea Juniper was out for some floor time while I cleaned her cage, and when I went to clean up after floor time I noticed a spot of blood in her urine.

Since then I have been watching her like a hawk and have seen no more blood. She is acting completely normal, not losing weight, and I haven't heard her squeaking when she pees.

I was thinking it was maybe a bit of bladder sludge, and she has been taking OxBow urinary support tabs since.

Because she has no other symptoms could I avoid a vet visit? I will 100% take her if necessary but my mother doesn't want to spend hundreds of dollars if we don't need to.

Again she is acting completely normal and I have seen no further blood.

Thanks Much

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Describe a "spot of blood." Blood in the urine is usually either a clot, which can be seen as a definite blob, or the urine is tinged pink from blood. If you're seeing a spot of blood on the fleece, it may well be from the reproductive tract, not the urinary tract.

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
IMG_4418.jpgThis is a picture of the spot I found.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That may be from a clot -- the darker stuff at the top looks like a clot. Blood in the urine isn't usually that dark, because it's so dilute. You only get that dark red color if the blood is undiluted with urine.

It does, however, look like it's on a spot of calcium, so it may have come from the urethra, but not from the bladder.

If she were mine, I'd watch her very carefully, and if you see another, I'd get her to the vet.

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the advice! I think I am going to schedule her an appointment because this morning she wasn't as enthusiastic about her veggies. When I go what should I be having them do? I'm not sure if we will need X-Rays done or urine samples, or both!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.