Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

UTI/Urinary Tract Infection Bene Bac Alternatives - ProBiotics

lb229

Cavy Slave
Hi -
My guinea pig Georgia is being treated for a UTI and was prescribed Baytril - last year she had an ear infection and I gave her Baytril as well. I want to give her probiotics - I am having a really hard time finding bene bac online - i want to receive it in the next day or two - are there good alternatives to bene bac? Thanks so much - I don't want her to suffer!
Thank you!!!

You can get Bene-Bac from Amazon. If you, or someone you know, has Amazon Prime, you can get it in a day or so.

But until then, poop soup from a healthy pig is fine, maybe better than Bene-Bac. Or plain human acidophilus or kyodophilus will do. Just crush the tablet and sprinkle some on her veggies if she's eating them.

Thank you - I went to amazon first and it seems to be out of stock. If I use human acidophilus do I crush and sprinkle the entire tablet? Is it ok if her cagemate has some?

I wouldn't give the whole tablet. Maybe one-fourth. And no, it won't hurt if the cagemate has some.

Thank you again. I actually tried again and found it easily on Amazon.
Happy Thanksgiving!

So my pig is acting fine - eating, chasing her cagemate as usual, and will get her 7th dose of Baytril for her UTI shortly. She is still bleeding with her urine. Red blood. Is this normal after a week of antibiotics? Any help is appreciated.

The fact that it's no better says that either there's an organism that Baytril is not effective against, or that it's something other than an infection.

What was done to diagnose the URI? Did the vet do an x-ray to rule out stones?

Did the vet try Bactrim? It's usually more effective against a UTI than Baytril is.

She collected her urine and did an ultrasound - she saw crystals but thought it was from an infection - is that right?

Yes, it could be. But there could also be a stone. And if it's an infection, the organism causing it may not be responsive to Baytril.

Assuming that an x-ray won't break the bank, I'd want an x-ray to see if there's a stone, and if not, I'd want to switch to Bactrim.

Is this an exotic vet?

Yes, she is. But you always seem more knowledgable.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.