Thread: Do my guinea pigs need a vitamin c supplement even if i?m feeding them vegetables?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Do my guinea pigs need a vitamin c supplement even if i?m feeding them vegetables?

Do my guinea pigs need a vitamin c supplement even if I’m feeding them vegetables daily? I plan on feeding them each:

- 4 medium sized pieces of romaine lettuce
    - 1 baby carrot
    - 2 pieces of broccoli
    - 1 slice of cucumber
    - 2 slices of red bell pepper

If they do need supplements, what brands do you guys reccomend?

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    396 Post(s)

Re: Do my guinea pigs need a vitamin c supplement even if i?m feeding them vegetables

Do they get fed pellets? If so, I'd say there's no need for supplements. If they're on a purely hay and veggies diet, it can't hurt to get a supplement just to cover your bases. If you do decide to get a supplement, make sure you syringe it directly to them instead of putting it in their water.

3. "Thank you, ThePigAlchemist, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Re: Do my guinea pigs need a vitamin c supplement even if i?m feeding them vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by ThePigAlchemist View Post
    Do they get fed pellets? If so, I'd say there's no need for supplements. If they're on a purely hay and veggies diet, it can't hurt to get a supplement just to cover your bases. If you do decide to get a supplement, make sure you syringe it directly to them instead of putting it in their water.
    Yes, I am planning on feeding them pellets as well (I haven’t adopted the guinea pigs yet, just planning everything out ) thank you!

Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/14 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Congrats on getting your piggies! As long as you're getting pellets with good vitamin C content they won't need supplements. Also I see you plan on feeding them broccoli each day, I wouldn't recommend doing that as broccoli can make pigs very gassy and cause bloat. Use it very sparingly.

Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/14 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

This is an amazing thread with great charts on veggies and fruits: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...us-Plants-List

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    545 Rec'd/415 Posts
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Quoted
    334 Post(s)

The red peppers are high vit c so no need for supps. Also I wouldn't feed broccoli and other such veggies like Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage, etc. Causes gas and gps don't pass gas. This can cause dangerous bloat. Check out the nutrition chart. What's in yellow is ok to feed daily though I stopped giving baby carrots due to high sugar content.

User Tag List