Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Supplements Do my guinea pigs need a vitamin c supplement even if i?m feeding them vegetables?

juliaspiggies

Cavy Gazer
Do my guinea pigs need a vitamin c supplement even if I’m feeding them vegetables daily? I plan on feeding them each:

- 4 medium sized pieces of romaine lettuce
- 1 baby carrot
- 2 pieces of broccoli
- 1 slice of cucumber
- 2 slices of red bell pepper

If they do need supplements, what brands do you guys reccomend?

juliaspiggies

Cavy Gazer
Do they get fed pellets? If so, I'd say there's no need for supplements. If they're on a purely hay and veggies diet, it can't hurt to get a supplement just to cover your bases. If you do decide to get a supplement, make sure you syringe it directly to them instead of putting it in their water.

Yes, I am planning on feeding them pellets as well (I haven’t adopted the guinea pigs yet, just planning everything out :)) thank you!

NinjaAlena

Cavy Slave
Congrats on getting your piggies! As long as you're getting pellets with good vitamin C content they won't need supplements. Also I see you plan on feeding them broccoli each day, I wouldn't recommend doing that as broccoli can make pigs very gassy and cause bloat. Use it very sparingly.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
The red peppers are high vit c so no need for supps. Also I wouldn't feed broccoli and other such veggies like Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage, etc. Causes gas and gps don't pass gas. This can cause dangerous bloat. Check out the nutrition chart. What's in yellow is ok to feed daily though I stopped giving baby carrots due to high sugar content.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.