Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) Where should I get my guinea pig??? Pet store or Humane Society??

juliaspiggies

Cavy Gazer
Hello, I?ve been trying to convince my parents to let me get some guinea pigs for the past 2 weeks. The problem is, they?ll allow me to get only 1 piggie, not 2. My local humane society is selling a lovely pair of female pigs that I really want :sad: I was so desperate I started to think about buying one from a Petco or Petsmart. I?ve seen tons of horror stories about dying animals and animals causing humans to have sicknesses from Petco/Petsmart. Part of me thinks that buying a pet store guinea pig would be saving its life,but the other part of me thinks that if I buy the guinea pig, it?ll be like i?m supporting the absolutely horrible treatment that the animals get at the mills in which pet stores buy from. I guess my questions are 1) Where should I get my piggie/s? and 2) How do I convince my parents to let me get two? Thanks to anyone who can help.

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
Hello, I?ve been trying to convince my parents to let me get some guinea pigs for the past 2 weeks. The problem is, they?ll allow me to get only 1 piggie, not 2. My local humane society is selling a lovely pair of female pigs that I really want :sad: I was so desperate I started to think about buying one from a Petco or Petsmart. I?ve seen tons of horror stories about dying animals and animals causing humans to have sicknesses from Petco/Petsmart. Part of me thinks that buying a pet store guinea pig would be saving its life,but the other part of me thinks that if I buy the guinea pig, it?ll be like i?m supporting the absolutely horrible treatment that the animals get at the mills in which pet stores buy from. I guess my questions are 1) Where should I get my piggie/s? and 2) How do I convince my parents to let me get two? Thanks to anyone who can help.
Where do you live?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

lissie

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC!

1) Where should I get my piggie/s?
You definitely should get your piggies from the humane society. Don't support pet stores and the horrible breeding mills.

2) How do I convince my parents to let me get two?
Guinea pigs need friends of their own kind. In some countries, it's illegal to own just one guinea pig. Show your parents these articles:
https://cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm
https://guinealynx.info/companionship.html

These are also must read for new owners:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

juliaspiggies

Cavy Gazer
Welcome to GPC!

You definitely should get your piggies from the humane society. Don't support pet stores and the horrible breeding mills.

Guinea pigs need friends of their own kind. In some countries, it's illegal to own just one guinea pig. Show your parents these articles:
https://cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm
https://guinealynx.info/companionship.html

These are also must read for new owners:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Thank you for this info! I showed the articles to my parents and they seem to understand about guinea pigs needing to be in groups. The only thing they’re worried about now is vet bills. By any chance, do you know how expensive it can get? And how likely is it for a guinea pig to get sick/injured?

lissie

Cavy Slave

lissie

Cavy Slave
Thank you for this info! I showed the articles to my parents and they seem to understand about guinea pigs needing to be in groups. The only thing they?re worried about now is vet bills. By any chance, do you know how expensive it can get? And how likely is it for a guinea pig to get sick/injured?
It really depends on the individual pig. Some never get sick. If they get sick, it can get pretty expensive.

Vets in my area charge about $70 for an office visit, and that's not the expensive part. If they need surgery, it can get up to thousands of dollars.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
To touch on some of your questions, I wholeheartedly agree with the other posters that the humane society is the place to go. Getting from a pet store might give that pig a home but it frees up a spot for the pet store to then order more guinea pigs from the breeding mill, keeping it in business. Very happy to hear that it sounds like you are leaning toward the humane society and that your parents have opened to the idea of allowing you to get two.

As for vet bills, wellness checks are relatively inexpensive and happen only once a year. Depending on how healthy the pigs are, it's the illness visits that can start to get expensive. One of my pigs had to have a tumor removed. The first time, the surgery was $500. When the tumor came back, it had grown deeper and the surgery was $800. Depending on the procedure and the vet, the range for procedures can get fairly wide.

I would start a Vet Fund. If you get an allowance or if you have a job, add a portion of your money to the Vet Fund every week and use that to pay for at least part of the vet bills. This can also go a long way to letting your parents see that you are responsible enough to contribute and that they won't have to foot the entire bill.

juliaspiggies

Cavy Gazer
Thanks so much everyone! I'm showing this info to my parents.

Pywakyt

Cavy Gazer
Not sure how close you to southern California but los angles guinea pig rescue just got in hundreds of cavies from a hoarder and are looking for new homes. I think its $50 for two or more.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Los Angeles Guinea Pig Rescue would be a great place to get pigs. They're in dire need of adopters, having just rescued 700+ guinea pigs with many of them pregnant. Even if you aren't close, might be able to help you arrange transportation.

nessie

Cavy Gazer
I actually had a similar question. Without knowing the negatives of getting a guinea pig from a pet store, I got my first guinea pig from one. I love her to pieces, and I am glad I took her out of the dreadful pet store. However, I now understand why adopting piggies from a pet store is the better option. But what if the pet store is my only option? My local shelter currently doesn't have any piggies, and I really want to get her a friend because right now she is a solo pig. Any advice? No matter where I eventually get my second guinea pig, I want my current girl to meet them before I get them so I can be sure they get along.
My parents are also super cheap and are hesitant to get a second pig (despite them falling in love with the one we have right now), as well as even getting a bigger cage (which she really needs) Help!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Pet stores are not your only option. A guinea pig is a want, not a necessity, and you can wait until you find one from a rescue or a shelter. Also, don't get another pig until you've got a cage large enough for the two of them -- a minimum of 10 square feet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.