Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables What kind of greens should I feed my piggy?

Secretariat

Cavy Slave
The staples of my diet is kale, spinach, and Romain lettuce. I've read however I should not give any of that to my pig. I keep seeing lettuce but besides iceberg (which I wouldn't even eat) I have no idea what other kind there is that's safe. I've been feeding her cilantro and parsley but read today that I shouldn't be feeding her that. So what are the main staples I should buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Vegetables that can be fed every day include: Bell pepper, red/green leaf lettuce, butter/boston/bibb lettuce, radicchio, curly endive, zucchini, tomato (in small amounts), carrot (in small amounts).

The only reason why Romaine lettuce is not recommended is because for some unknown reason it cause some guinea pigs to excrete calcium in their urine, which will be visible in the form of white stains where they have urinated if you are using fleece, this is bad because when your guinea pig has this kind of urine it puts them at a higher risk of developing urinary sludge and bladder stones. However not all guinea pigs have an issue with romaine lettuce, and it is no higher in calcium than most other lettuces, so it can be fed if your guinea pig is fortunate enough not to be negatively affected by it.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Kale and spinach for sure are no. On the chart the yellow is ok for daily although I stopped baby carrots since it's high in sugar.

dawnmb57

Cavy Slave
Kale and spinach for sure are no. On the chart the yellow is ok for daily although I stopped baby carrots since it's high in sugar.
My guinea pigs love kale and I felt so sad about what you said I had to go do some research for myself: (broken link removed)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs love kale and I felt so sad about what you said I had to go do some research for myself: (broken link removed)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Gps are very prone to stones which can be deadly because it is very high in calcium. That's why for me no way. My last pig Mooshy, pictured, may she rip was always going to the vet with these issues. So it's future vet bills to consider which is never cheap. Gps love a lot of things but isn't always the best for them. No way to tell how prone to stones they are. Vet bills also dictated since mine was that I stop parsley, dandelion greens and cilantro which eventually helped. Safest is what's in yellow except chard which has a note there .

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.