Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Crying When Picked Up?

thequeenofpigs

Cavy Slave
For about a week now, my 3-year-old boar, Gunther, seems to almost always cry whenever I pick him up. I've had him for over a year now & the last time I remember him crying was when I first brought him home.

I'm worried about him but he seems to be acting just like a normal guinea pig, at least on the outside. He's eager to eat his hay & veggies. He drinks his water. He has no problem pooping or peeing. He seems happy enough. I've examined his body and haven't found any lumps, scars, etc. He just cries when I pick him up but when I sit down with him on my lap, he's totally fine.

His cagemates, Grover (5 months) & Garrett (5 months), are the same. Neither of them cry when I pick them up though.

Right now, I'd just like an explanation or answer for his behavior. Is it normal? Is it a phase? Or is it a sign of something more serious?

Thank you in advance. :love:

DSC_1155.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
As long as he's eating/pooping/drinking/peeing/moving normally and not losing weight, I wouldn't worry.

dawnmb57

Cavy Slave
For about a week now, my 3-year-old boar, Gunther, seems to almost always cry whenever I pick him up. I've had him for over a year now & the last time I remember him crying was when I first brought him home.

I'm worried about him but he seems to be acting just like a normal guinea pig, at least on the outside. He's eager to eat his hay & veggies. He drinks his water. He has no problem pooping or peeing. He seems happy enough. I've examined his body and haven't found any lumps, scars, etc. He just cries when I pick him up but when I sit down with him on my lap, he's totally fine.

His cagemates, Grover (5 months) & Garrett (5 months), are the same. Neither of them cry when I pick them up though.

Right now, I'd just like an explanation or answer for his behavior. Is it normal? Is it a phase? Or is it a sign of something more serious?

Thank you in advance. :love:

View attachment 83786
What do you mean by crying? I'm not sure what that sound is.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

cavycalm1

Cavy Slave
Gunther may just have had a change of heart, and now doesn't tolerate having his feet in the air, which in that case, just try and hold him as little as possible in the air, and put him in your lap. Pr you could put him in a cuddle cup or blanket.

Stortdyr

Cavy Gazer
Some pigs just dont like being carried around.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.