Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Best Guinea Pig Pellets?

Hi,
    I was wondering what type of pellets were the best for a 9 and 4 month old guinea pigs?
    I am looking into the Oxbow but all I could find were adult and some young pellets?
    As of now I am using Kaytee Pellets.

Thanks,

Thanks
    Thanks
    440 Rec'd/371 Posts
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    206 Post(s)

Re: Best Guinea Pig Pellets?

Oxbow or KMS hayloft are the only pellets we recommend. KMS is only available in the US and can only be bought online, the cost of the pellets is low but the cost of shipping will vary depending on your location, but it is important to add the shipping and pellet cost together and then figure out the price per pound, and then do the same for any other pellets you are looking at to be able to compare which is acutally better value for money.

Guinea pigs over 6 months old should be given adult pellets. The main difference between young pellets and adult pellets is the calcium content. Young guinea pigs need extra calcium for their growing bones (but you can also give them extra calcium by feeding them high calcium vegetables/herbs), whereas if extra calcium is given to adults it can increase the chance of them forming bladder stones or urinary sludge.

So given you have one guinea pig over 6 months and one under what you can do is feed both of them adult pellets, and take the younger one out once a day and hand feed them a high calcium vegetable/herb such as a couple sprigs of parsley.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    20 Rec'd/17 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

I personally use KMS hayloft pellets for my girl, and the only other pellet I would recommend is OxBow.

I switched them from OxBow to KMS several months ago because I was looking for the healthiest option.
    One of my girls has a chronic illness and I try to give her only the best to keep her healthy. I do not recommend kaytee pellets and never will. It would be best to switch them off those pellets as soon as possible.

Hope this helps!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

I got the Oxbow Adult Pellets and planning to feed my younger one some parsley until he is 6 months.Thanks

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Quick Question.
    Should I get Italian Parsley or Curly Parsley for my 4 month old?
    Thanks Again.

Thanks
    Thanks
    221 Rec'd/184 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    132 Post(s)

Either one you (and he) prefer.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Okay Thank You So MUCh

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

One last question. sorry about all the questions. but how much parsley should my 4 month okd have. Right now I just gave him 3 leaves (the stalks included as well)
    Last edited by Pigsforever; 11-11-17 at 06:18 pm. Reason: Grammar

Thanks
    Thanks
    440 Rec'd/371 Posts
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    206 Post(s)

If you are buying parsley in a bunch just take off the tie/elastic band, take out 1 or 2 of the precut lenghts (you will find some lenghts will have more leaves than others, so if you get one with a lot of leaves just the 1 will do, if you get some that only have 3 or so leaves on them you could feed him 3 of them) and feed him that stalk and all. It isn't an exact science, so you mostly just have to eyeball it and estimate.

Thanks
    Thanks
    20 Rec'd/20 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CupcakeCavy View Post
    I personally use KMS hayloft pellets for my girl, and the only other pellet I would recommend is OxBow.

I switched them from OxBow to KMS several months ago because I was looking for the healthiest option.
    One of my girls has a chronic illness and I try to give her only the best to keep her healthy. I do not recommend kaytee pellets and never will. It would be best to switch them off those pellets as soon as possible.

Hope this helps!
    I also feed my GP's kaytee pellets and I know they are not the best kind,but I swear my guinea pigs love them. They get very little maybe 3x or 2x a week on top of a regular heathy gp diet.

I have tried to switch them to heathier brands but my piggies just don't seem to like them very much and barley eat any if at all what should I change?

I know they love these because some weeks (after they have gained some weight I take it off their diet all together or offer it once a week) and their weight is back to normal. (1200ish grams for Oreo and 1400ish grams for Peanut Butter.)

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,939 Rec'd/5,499 Posts
    Mentioned
    1959 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3572 Post(s)

Loving the pellets isn't the most important thing. Far more important is that all pellets in this country except Oxbow and KMS Hayloft are made with limestone as the calcium source, and are high in calcium. You're running the risk of giving your pigs bladder stones, which are painful for them and expensive for you.

12. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    20 Rec'd/17 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

I ditto bpatters ! They may love them, but its flat out bad for them. Its like giving a baby ice cream for dinner. Will they love it? Yes. Is it good for them? No. Guinea pigs are very sensitive to diet an the repercussions for an improper diet are huge!

14. "Thank you, CupcakeCavy, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    506 Rec'd/378 Posts
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)

Kms is the only brand I get. Timothy hay for adults and alfalfa hay based for babies. Mooshy loved it and my baby Bella Rose loves it too.

User Tag List