Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece getting rid of crusty stains?

audizzy

Cavy Slave
so I used to just throw my fleece in the washer but after a while I started getting annoyed with all the fur that would be left behind in my machine. I bought a wash bag and it solved the problem, but now I have a new one. Some stains are left on the fleece and they don?t get washed off properly because of the wash bag, and it just looks disgusting. Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Are you washing in hot water? With strong detergent?

audizzy

Cavy Slave
Are you washing in hot water? With strong detergent?

Hi, sorry I never got back to this. I?m currently using a sensitive detergent for babies. What?s the hottest temperature I could wash them in? I used to always wash them at 30, and right now I?m currently at 40 but it doesn?t really help.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Wash them with a strong detergent, the hottest water you can get, and bleach. Fleece is nearly indestructible.

It may help to fill the machine with water and soak them first before doing the hot water wash. Also, don't stuff the bags full, and don't stuff the washer full. The only way my fleece will get clean is one piece of fleece per bag, and only about four bags in my big washer.

audizzy

Cavy Slave
Bleach? I will try that! For the next wash I will definitely go up on the temperature. Thank you!

I wish I could let them soak, but I have a side door machine. I?m only able to fit one liner because they?re 2x6s. I only put one liner and its matching accessory (tunnel, sack, or cuddle cup)

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Fleece is nearly indestructible.

I'm afraid we disagree on this. I have found that using bleach about every 3-4 washes works well. If you use bleach on the same liners every week, it will definitely cause them to disintegrate. As a consequence, I find myself in desperate need of new liners.

But then, I really can't complain. My current liners are nearly seven years old!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've been using bleach on my fleece for nine years, and I haven't had one disintegrate yet.

[MENTION=38178]audizzy[/MENTION], are your liners really packed when they're in the bag? If so, the water may not be getting all the way into the middle. Maybe a bigger bag would help.

audizzy

Cavy Slave
I've been using bleach on my fleece for nine years, and I haven't had one disintegrate yet.

[MENTION=38178]audizzy[/MENTION], are your liners really packed when they're in the bag? If so, the water may not be getting all the way into the middle. Maybe a bigger bag would help.

There?s still some room in the bag when I roll it up into it. Maybe my machine is just too small? :/

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I always put mine in the bags with the dirtiest spots to the outside of the bag. It seems to help.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave

As soon as I have time, I'll post a pic of the destruction

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
I've found 1 1/2 to 2 cups of distilled white vinegar really helps my stains!

audizzy

Cavy Slave
I've found 1 1/2 to 2 cups of distilled white vinegar really helps my stains!

Do you mix it with the detergent? If you do, how many cups of detergent?

FailedFoster

Cavy Slave
I use the same amount of detergent. As for mixing it, my washer is kind of old and you basically just dump all of the ingredients beneath and on top of the clothes, so I don't mix it so much as I just dump the detergent and vinegar on top of the clothes.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I just dump the detergent and vinegar on top of the clothes.

Adding vinegar to the wash cycle reduces the sudsing ability of the detergent and its effectiveness. Add the vinegar during the rinse cycle or in a separate cycle.

audizzy

Cavy Slave
Adding vinegar to the wash cycle reduces the sudsing ability of the detergent and its effectiveness. Add the vinegar during the rinse cycle or in a separate cycle.

I have a side door washer, so I would have to wash it twice?

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I have a side door washer, so I would have to wash it twice?

I have no idea what you mean by a "side door washer"? Are you not in the US? We have either top load washers or front load as a standard here. I have a top-load washer so perhaps there is a problem adding anything during the rinse cycle with a front-loader?

I wash my piggy items (fleece liners, cage accessories, towels) as a regular wash with non-scented detergent and adding either bleach or OxyClean or borax. If I could remember to do so, I would probably add the vinegar during the rinse cycle. My washer and dryer are in the basement so I rarely am aware of the timing of the rinse cycle.

I also find that it is unwise to ever wash darks after a load of piggy items because of the hair. I also want to be sure that there is no remaining bleach in the washer. My washer has a rinse-and-spin cycle that is ideal for solving the problem. I add copious amounts of white vinegar and run this cycle after the regular wash. It solves the problem of any residual bleach and also leaves the items smelling quite nice. Yes, there is some residual hair, but not so much.

audizzy

Cavy Slave
No I don?t live in the US. and yes that?s what I meant, front load washer, sorry.

I use a wash bag, could I just add the vinegar in there before throwing it in the machine?

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I use a wash bag, could I just add the vinegar in there before throwing it in the machine?

Sorry, I don't know what a "wash bag" is? The only thing that fits that description to my knowledge is a large mesh bag that is of course permeable to water.....which is how the items get clean. We often speak of a bag that horse lovers use to wash items in to keep hair and hay from clogging up the washer. If your wash bag is permeable to water, how is adding vinegar going to be any different from putting it in the wash? You are still going to affect the sudsing power of the detergent.

audizzy

Cavy Slave
^^^That?s the type of bag that I have, the one for horse blankets. It?s a big orange one. I got it because a lot of people here suggested it to me.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave

I promised to post a pic of the destruction of my liners over time by the use of bleach. The opportunity presented itself today with the routine of changing the liners. Now you see why I don't recommend using bleach every time you wash the liners. Before anyone asks the question, NONE of my cavies have ever chewed on the liners.....to my knowledge.

Bleached liners.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.