Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Foiled by Cavy love

CavyCrayCray

Cavy Gazer
Hi. I am new to this forum. I decided to get Guinea pigs after reading an article in a homesteading group on raising them as livestock and eating them like they do in Peru. I did research on them as livestock and got a couple of them free/low cost from Craigslist. I had never had Guinea pigs before, and assumed that they would be like rabbits/ducks/chickens/goats...I didn't expect them to have so much personality. How could anybody eat a GP? They are so sweet and loving and talk to you. So, now that plan is out the window, and I am spoiling my boys. I had gotten 2 boys that I have, and my husband is taking care of 3 girls that we got for my daughter. We were going to get a total of 15 girls and breed them, but that is not going to happen now.
I never expected to get addicted to Guinea Pigs like this, but now I am CavyCrayCray.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Thank goodness you found out they're much better as pets, rather than on your dinner plate. I'm so happy you are loving them as they deserve to be, they are the most wonderful little creatures :love:

Oops, Welcome to the forum, btw :)

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

Very, very glad your girls became family instead of an appetizer. Personally, knowing what I know about pigs, I could never. I just couldn't. Thank you so much for changing your mind and treating them like the family members they should be!

CavyCrayCray

Cavy Gazer
My boys are having so much fun in their new and improved c+c cage. Dusty, my older male has been eating treats out of my hand and now greets me with the cutest little chuffing noise when I come near. He stands on his hind legs and stretches out to see what treat I have for him.
He still gets a bit skittish when I go to pick him up, and today he bit me, but I had just given him a treat and I am confident it was an accident.
Baby Ollie was running around the new cage today too. He has been hiding almost constantly since I got him as a playmate for Dusty. I didn't introduce them right, but the new cage is making him more confident.
They are such dear boys and really brighten my day.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm glad you're enjoying them, and they are beginning to trust you. Dusty probably thought your finger was another treat, mine have done that before.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
What an interesting story! Welcome to the forum and I am so glad you have gone Cavycraycray!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.