Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Advice on getting a new friend for Mollie after her sister died

Dervly

Cavy Slave
Hi All

It's been a while since I posted. Recently I lost one of my two beloved guinea pigs, Millie. I had originally bought her and Mollie together 3 and half years ago (I didn't know then no to buy from a store). Anyway they were really well bonded and have always been together. Since Millie's death I've been worried about Mollie. Unfortunately due to work I can't spend that much time with her, so I think she has been lonely. She's been very quiet and just doesn't seem like herself.

So I was thinking of adopting a friend or two for her. I've read online about how to do introductions but I do still have a few questions and I'm not sure how to proceed.

First of all, how long should I wait before looking into getting her a buddy? It's been two weeks since Millie passed. Am I better to wait longer or is sooner better?

How long does the process usually take? From what I saw online most of the hard work would be done in a day, but with work that's the most I could give beyond evenings at the moment. I am off for 2 weeks at Christmas, so would I be better to wait until then when I would have more time to watch them.

Finally how many to get? I had previously considered getting a third as I have increased my C&C cage. In my house I have a 2x6 with a 2x4 basement. At my parents house (where I would be over Christmas) I have a 2x4 with a large amount of floor space. Probably one would be best but I'm a bit limited on options of where to adopt. There is a local place at home, but currently they only have two neutered male guinea pigs. Where I live (approximately 4 hours drive away) none of the shelters currently have any guinea pigs and only seem to have guinea pigs rarely. One of the pet stores at home does have adoption options, but availability varies week to week. They did have a lovely neutered male when I was there last week, but I wasn't sure how that would work.

Anyway, any advice you would have would be great. I'm really worried about Mollie and don't want to lose her too.

Thanks

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Sooner is usually better for the remaining guinea pig to have a new cage mate after the passing of their previous cage mate, they don't need time to grieve like we do.

For introductions it is all done in a day. By that I don't mean that they will be perfect with each other after a day, just that if something is going to go wrong and require you to intervene it is highly likely that would happen on the first day.

How many to get really depends on how many you can financially and physically provide for. The cage in your house is large enough for three or four, but whether or not the cage at your parent's house can accommodate that many would depend on if they have constant access to the floor space outside the cage or not, but it is certainly big enough for two. Whether or not you are able/prepared to take on the care and financial cost of that many is something only you know.

I would strongly advise against putting two neutered males in with a sow, but if you were to get one neutered male you could always add more sows to make a trio/herd later. Having a single neutered male in with one or multiple sows usually works out well (but this is still dependent on the personalities of the individual guinea pigs), just make sure he is really neutered and any/all sows are really sows (double and triple check yourself).

Dervly

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the advice guys. I adopted a lovely girl from the local sanctuary today so I'll start the quarantine period. Unfortunately she lost an eye when she was young, do you know would this effect the introduction process at all?

Thanks

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thanks for adopting!

The loss of an eye shouldn't affect her in any way, except you should maybe be careful to approach her from her good side.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.