Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Multilevel Cages - Is total space or width most important?

Photosynthesis

Cavy Gazer
Hi Everyone!

My my husband and I have a pair of piggies and we are looking to build a better cage. Our floor space is limited, (and more importantly we want to avoid winter drafts chilling them along the floor!) so we were looking into multiple layer cage options, but not sure about the idea. We currently have a 3x5 c&c floor cage for them both. Any thoughts as to a multi-layer cage?

I have seen 1x1 wide, 5 long, 3 level cages that would fit well in our space. I am wondering whether they would still need a space which is at least 2x2 wise though, or if the total space is more important. We could give them more space with a 3 level cage, but again not sure about the importance/impact of width.

Maybe I am overthinking the space requirements for two piggies, but We want to be sure their new cafe is as ideal as possible for everyone.

Other than space considerations (which is my primary question) Do you generally find it easy to clean a multilevel cage? Do pigs use both levels on average?

Thank you all for your kindness and consideration! :)

lissie

Cavy Slave
Only the main level of the cage counts towards the square footage. Piggies need space to run laps. For two pigs, the main level should be 2x4.

What's wrong with the current cage? It sounds like a nice space for them. If you just need it off the floor, you could put it on a piece of plywood, attach some legs or wheels to the plywood.

I find multi-level cage harder to clean.

Photosynthesis

Cavy Gazer
I suppose that is true. Our main concern was the drafts on the floor, so as long as we elevate it then we would be okay. I should make a correction though - I didn?t count my grids before I posted. We actually have a 3x7 cage for the two of them. ... maybe that?s a bit overkill?

lissie

Cavy Slave
3x7 is a great space. If you need to reduce the size of the cage, you could do 2x5 or 2x6. That would still be a good size.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.