Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting Guinea pigs fighting HELP

GuineaPig540

Cavy Slave
Hello, I need serious help.

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/guinea_pig_cages/100_cm_cages/284438 This is my cage. It's big and has two floors. My pigs are 4 months old, bought together 3 weeks ago and are both females. At first they were afraid and were always together and hiding and in some time they discovered the second floor. They were each on her own floor and the dominance started. Lola seemed dominant but Luna was not giving up and they were both chattering their teeth and wigling butts. It was lound and Lola started to chase Luna around the whole cage and then I discovered that Luna had a scratch below her eye. I've separated them and each is on her own floor. They seem okay with it. But because I want them together and that they use the whole cage and they are social animals I need your help. I've tried to get them together and they jumped at each other and it was scary. They were also on the floor in my room and since they were out of their cage for the first time and exploring the new area they were fine together. But in about half and hour Lola started to chase Luna again and Luna was afraid again. And yes they each got their own food bowl, hay area and their own bed when they started fighting and it didn't stop. Now this is some serious agressive behaviour that I'm seeing but they loved being together before that happened. I'm so sad that they do that and I really could use some help. People told me on the forums that I need to keep them together, but they could seriously hurt each other and I couldn't live with myself if one got really hurt. Do you think I should try with a divider in the cage and try with that? Because I can't think of anything else I could do. Thank you very much for your answers.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What do you mean by "serious aggression?" Describe what they're doing. If all they're doing is chattering teeth and wiggling butts (that's called rumblestrutting), it's perfectly normal.

The cage is totally unsuitable for guinea pigs. They need a large flat space to run around in, and the ramps are just invitations to squabble,

GuineaPig540

Cavy Slave
By ''serious aggression'' I mean that they jump at each other and chase and it is getting serious and they are close to a fight. I've decided to buy a fence to add to the floor beneath the cage. I've added a picture similar to what I'll do. It'll add a lot space and when they'll get along (I'll try to use a divider) they can use all three floors.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's not serious aggression.

And no matter what you do to that cage, it's not suitable for guinea pigs. Can't you sell it on a ferret or rat forum and get one designed for guinea pigs?

GuineaPig540

Cavy Slave
b800.jpgI'll do this and they will have a lot more space.

GuineaPig540

Cavy Slave
They can use the first floor and it'll be a lot more space and then they can go upstairs also if they want to

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
It's still not a very suitable guinea pig habitat. They much prefer one flat space. I would highly recommend not keeping that cage, even with the modifications you've made.

Especially, it looks like you have the perfect space to build an acceptable C&C or alternative cage that your guinea pigs would prefer.

onefutui2e

Cavy Slave
I mean, that setup MIGHT work, but I would put carpet down over the entire floor area. I know my pigs hate walking or running on hard surfaces. If you can elevate that cage so they can also run under it you might have enough space for them to zoom about. But then you run into the issue of the ramp. It already looks steep enough and I'd be surprised if they could climb it.

Or...since you're okay with them on the floor and such, I'd just ditch that cage and let them have that entire flat spot. But it looks like a 2x3 (I don't know the measurements of each grid) and if they're fighting, a 2x4 might be better. But then again, the behaviors you're describing aren't that bad anyway.

GuineaPig540

Cavy Slave
I agree with you. I will give it a try and we'll just have to see :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.