Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: 4 month old baby dies unexpectedly

  1. #1
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 18, 2017
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    3
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

    Unhappy 4 month old baby dies unexpectedly

    Can someone help me figure out what happened to the younge baby, I have two more guinea pigs and I donít want the same thing to happen, hereís what I know
    1 he was walking funny, I was feeding him vitamin c tablets
    2 the window is always open, the temperature changes alot
    3 we just moved
    4 his last days, he had a weak squeak
    5 there are two adult males with him
    6 bought from a pet store
    7 had eye crust when I found him
    My other two are looking for him in the cage, itís heartbreaking, they seem to be doing ok

  2. #2
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 18, 2017
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    3
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

    Re: 4 month old baby dies unexpectedly

    Also the other two can be rough but the baby’s body didn’t have and bites or wounds

  3. #3
    Cavy Slave Soecara's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 18, 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,909
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)
    Thanks
    4
    Thanks
    542 Rec'd/456 Posts

    Re: 4 month old baby dies unexpectedly

    What was his diet like? Had he lost his appetite, become less energetic, lost weight, or shown any other behaviour out of the ordinary prior to his passing? Had he been coughing/sneezing often? What is the highest/lowest temperatures he was likely exposed to (I know you said the window is always open so it is likely his living space reached similar temperature to outside but we have no idea what region you live in so that isn't very helpful)? How was he given the vitamin C tablets?

    We may not be able to narrow down his exact cause of death, a necropsy performed by a vet would have been the only way to tell for certain, but we may be able to help by making suggestions as to what changes (if any) you can make for the health of your two remaining boys.

  4. #4
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,662
    Mentioned
    2114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4076 Post(s)
    Thanks
    209
    Thanks
    7,520 Rec'd/6,009 Posts

    Re: 4 month old baby dies unexpectedly

    A crusty nose and walking funny are both signs of illness, particularly the crusty nose. He could have had an overwhelming respiratory infection, which would have required a vet visit and antibiotics to treat.

    You have to watch guinea pigs carefully for any signs of illness. And they're pretty fragile animals, so when you see something like a crusty nose, failure to eat, walking funny, etc, you should get them to an exotic vet ASAP.

    As far as your other two are concerned, are they displaying any symptoms?

    What exactly are you feeding them? What brand of pellets, and how many? What kind of hay? What veggies, and how much of each?

  5. #5
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 18, 2017
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    3
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

    Re: 4 month old baby dies unexpectedly

    Quote Originally Posted by Soecara View Post
    What was his diet like? Had he lost his appetite, become less energetic, lost weight, or shown any other behaviour out of the ordinary prior to his passing? Had he been coughing/sneezing often? What is the highest/lowest temperatures he was likely exposed to (I know you said the window is always open so it is likely his living space reached similar temperature to outside but we have no idea what region you live in so that isn't very helpful)? How was he given the vitamin C tablets?

    We may not be able to narrow down his exact cause of death, a necropsy performed by a vet would have been the only way to tell for certain, but we may be able to help by making suggestions as to what changes (if any) you can make for the health of your two remaining boys.
    Timothy hay and kibble, we used oxford kibble, the most expensive and best pet store brand and the Timothy hay we would switch up brands. He wasnít as energetic and spunky before his passing.no coughing or sneezing but his squeak was getting weak. It got warm, not too hot, but it did get chilly at night, he was given the vitamin c 1 every couple days.

  6. #6
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 18, 2017
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    3
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

    Re: 4 month old baby dies unexpectedly

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    A crusty nose and walking funny are both signs of illness, particularly the crusty nose. He could have had an overwhelming respiratory infection, which would have required a vet visit and antibiotics to treat.

    You have to watch guinea pigs carefully for any signs of illness. And they're pretty fragile animals, so when you see something like a crusty nose, failure to eat, walking funny, etc, you should get them to an exotic vet ASAP.

    As far as your other two are concerned, are they displaying any symptoms?

    What exactly are you feeding them? What brand of pellets, and how many? What kind of hay? What veggies, and how much of each?
    The other two have been slimming down recently, but no crusties, Oxford pellets, I’d fill up those bowl which is about 1 cup until it got empty then I’d fill it up again, Timothy hay, we would try to change the brand, as for veggies, I gave them some Romain lettuce two days ago, I’d give them each a leaf of lettuce

  7. #7
    Cavy Slave Shieme's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 27, 2017
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    301
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Thanks
    49
    Thanks
    37 Rec'd/37 Posts

    Re: 4 month old baby dies unexpectedly

    Besides he might have already been sick when you got him, either close the window or put up blankets (or towel) to make a spot that the piggies can retreat without the breeze or cold air. It got really cold where I live so I put up towels around the hut (outside of cage) to keep heat in. They loved it. You can also use a sock and rice. Heat it up in a microwave and put it in a spot like their sleeping area for warmth.

  8. "Thank you, Shieme, for this useful post," says:


  9. #8
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 18, 2017
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    3
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

    Re: 4 month old baby dies unexpectedly

    Quote Originally Posted by Shieme View Post
    Besides he might have already been sick when you got him, either close the window or put up blankets (or towel) to make a spot that the piggies can retreat without the breeze or cold air. It got really cold where I live so I put up towels around the hut (outside of cage) to keep heat in. They loved it. You can also use a sock and rice. Heat it up in a microwave and put it in a spot like their sleeping area for warmth.
    Alright thanks for the advice

  10. #9
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 18, 2017
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    3
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

    Re: 4 month old baby dies unexpectedly

    Do u think it could’ve been a uri?

  11. #10
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,662
    Mentioned
    2114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4076 Post(s)
    Thanks
    209
    Thanks
    7,520 Rec'd/6,009 Posts

    Re: 4 month old baby dies unexpectedly

    Did you read my post (#4 above) where I suggested it could have been a respiratory infection?

  12. #11
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 18, 2017
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    3
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

    Re: 4 month old baby dies unexpectedly

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Did you read my post (#4 above) where I suggested it could have been a respiratory infection?
    Oh sorry, there are so many replies, I kinda got lost in all of it, thank you

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •