Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bonding Multiple Piggies!

Hello everyone! Today we were cleared with the 4 new additions at the vet and tomorrow we can start introductions. Although excited, I am nervous. Quick backstory for those who don’t know. Nora and Sylvia are our resident pigs. They turned 1 in August. We adopted Adaline as a single Guinea Pig almost a month ago. She is about 3ish months old, the rescue wasn’t quite sure. Then I fell into the trap of an email from a local shelter, with absolutely adorable pictures of 3 girls. So we adopted Elaine, Josephine and Beatrice a week after Adaline. They are around 2. Now that we’ve ended quarantine, I’m really not sure what to do. We have considered just bonding Adaline with Nora and Sylvia as she’s a baby and I don’t see it being much of a hassle for either group to accept her. Also that means we would have 2 equal groups of 3. Or do we try to bond our 2 residents with a group of 3, plus Adaline. I don’t know how to go about bonding so many new Guinea Pigs at once. We have the space for one large cage or 2 seperate large cages as well, so really either way works for me. My main priority right now is Adaline, we moved all of them into the same room tonight so they could hear eachother and the poor girl just wheeked and wheeked. She’s been terrified since coming home and tonight she came out of hiding talking to the other girls and eating with me right next to her cage. Our littlest one definitely needs some piggy sisters! So any advice or comments would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,016 Rec'd/5,570 Posts
    Mentioned
    1976 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3621 Post(s)

Re: Bonding Multiple Piggies!

Just a nitpick on my part. You don't "bond" guinea pigs. You introduce them, and they may or may not form "bonds," where they complain when separated from the other. The best you may get is tolerant indifference while living in the same cage. Best case, they become buddies and cuddle together.

You introduce groups the same way you introduce singletons. You just need lots more room and time -- definitely do NOT do it when you're in a hurry. The last time I introduced a threesome it was eleven hours before I felt comfortable leaving them to go to bed. And be prepared for the fact that your original pair may hate each other after the introductions are over.

Here's how to go about introductions: http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Just a nitpick on my part. You don't "bond" guinea pigs. You introduce them, and they may or may not form "bonds," where they complain when separated from the other. The best you may get is tolerant indifference while living in the same cage. Best case, they become buddies and cuddle together.

You introduce groups the same way you introduce singletons. You just need lots more room and time -- definitely do NOT do it when you're in a hurry. The last time I introduced a threesome it was eleven hours before I felt comfortable leaving them to go to bed. And be prepared for the fact that your original pair may hate each other after the introductions are over.

Here's how to go about introductions: http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html
    I didn’t necessarily mean “bond” as in them become buddy buddy with eachother. Should have used the word introducing, sorry bud. Thank you for the advice.

Thanks
    Thanks
    37 Rec'd/37 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

My girls are so opposite that they are not bonded but they are buddies. They follow each other... well Zoe follows Shiemi. Shiemi just likes the company but Zoe wants a more bonded relationship. Shiemi will not sleep in the same area which upsets me because it's finally getting cold here. I didn't care durning the hot times. But they don't fight so I'm happy. If anything happen to Shiemi, I think Zoe would get depressed. Shiemi, I don't know. I think she does like a cagemate for company but at times, she tries to be alone, away from Zoe. When that happens, she starts chewing the cage or her hut. I don't mind the wood but the metal cage... sigh. I'm just glad she's not a fighter and tolerates Zoe.

User Tag List