Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay My piggies waste so much hay!

lbyram

Cavy Gazer
Hello friends! I have 4 naughty piggies who make a sport out of wasting hay! I fill their racks up daily but at night, the game is on! They pull every piece of hay out of the rack and then use the bathroom on it. I’m throwing tons of hay away! I have tried several different racks but the problem continues. Does anyone have any advice?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It might sound stupid, but I just buy more hay. All of my boars think that their hay is so great to eat, toilet on and play in that I no longer even bother with hay racks. They'll do the same thing yours do, and they think it's great fun. I've just resigned myself to the fact that they're silly pigs and let them do what they want.

Sly's favourite thing to do is make himself a bed out of it. He'll pull it out of the pile mouthful by mouthful til it makes a comfy mattress. Then it's nap time.

miniver

Cavy Slave
Sly's favourite thing to do is make himself a bed out of it. He'll pull it out of the pile mouthful by mouthful til it makes a comfy mattress. Then it's nap time.

Ha, ha. My girls also do that. They like to make piles and sleep with their heads in the hay and their butts sticking out.
They give me dirty looks when I clean up the pile, so I've started leaving them some to hide in.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto [MENTION=35161]Guinea Pig Papa[/MENTION]. All pigs waste hay, no matter where you put it. Just buy the most economical hay you can find, and let them have at it.

Cheapest hay -- a bale from a local farmer
Next cheapest -- online in bulk (40-50 pound boxes) from places like Small Pet Select, American Pet Diner, KMS Hayloft, and Oxbow (usually shipped to stores for pickup)
Way most expensive hay, and the worst quality -- stuff bought in small packages from pet stores or places like Walmart.

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
Ditto [MENTION=35161]Guinea Pig Papa[/MENTION]. All pigs waste hay, no matter where you put it. Just buy the most economical hay you can find, and let them have at it.

Cheapest hay -- a bale from a local farmer
Next cheapest -- online in bulk (40-50 pound boxes) from places like Small Pet Select, American Pet Diner, KMS Hayloft, and Oxbow (usually shipped to stores for pickup)
Way most expensive hay, and the worst quality -- stuff bought in small packages from pet stores or places like Walmart.
I get my hay from small pet select highly recommend

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Punkin is the worst. He literally can't leave hay in a pile. Every time I tidy it up and pile it back in the corner, in less than a minute he dives into it headfirst, then throws his head up as hard as he can. Loves to toss the hay everywhere. He's a jerk. :)

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
What I would suggest is something like this
caf7a23aa5d4308fd4a8924af4f393cf.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's a very hard rack for them to get hay out of. The pellet bin is in the way, the holes in the grids are too small for them to get their noses in to get they hay out, and there's not much room on the rack for them to stand up and prop their feet to get the taller strands.

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
That's a very hard rack for them to get hay out of. The pellet bin is in the way, the holes in the grids are too small for them to get their noses in to get they hay out, and there's not much room on the rack for them to stand up and prop their feet to get the taller strands.
I know, it's certainly not ideal but it is the only hay rack my local pet store has any recommendations?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just put a pile of hay in the cage. They prefer it that way, and will love playing in it.

Crazypetlady

Cavy Slave
I get my hay from small pet select highly recommend

what kind of hay do you get? I was getting kaylee timothy hay with dried carrots but I'm looking to change that after reading some forums.

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
what kind of hay do you get? I was getting kaylee timothy hay with dried carrots but I'm looking to change that after reading some forums.
I just get regular Timothy Hay

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.