Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Storage Areas Good hay holders?

• Thread starter butterflylover5
  • Start date

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
Are there any good hay holders anyone has found? A friend gave me a metal one with bars that are vertical, which is hard for the piggies to get the hay out. I had already bought a wood one with horizontal slots but they are really close together and I don't think the piggies can get the hay out either. I just found a small cardboard box and trimmed it down so they could get it out, but I don't know how long a cardboard box will last in there lol

Links would be appreciated. Thanks!

scoottie

Cavy Slave
You can purchase hay bags from different people on Etsy.com

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Someone on here suggested tissue boxes - I've been loving that. Gone through 2 though in a month or so because the piggies slowly destroy them, but they enjoy that part too, like a big toy. Luckily my mom goes through tissues like woah so I have them coming in. The small hay holder on the guinea pig cages store is supposed to be good. I was silly and bought the big one - WAY too big

lisa325

Cavy Slave
I have both the large and smaller size hay holder from here on the guinea pig cages store and I love them, my pigs never seem to have a hard time getting the hay out, and also they're powder coated, which I love as it stops any potential chewing on the bars :).

MyLittlePigs

Cavy Slave
You can use a single c&c grid and bend it they make nice hay racks. Or those bins with holes in them are really good but make sure the holes aren’t to big as your piggies could get there faces stuck in them.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
I have a bent grid hanging on one of the cage walls horizontally. I had them standing up vertically but I found that it was difficult to put the cage liners in the cage because I would have to lift the hay rack up or just remove it all together in order to get the fabric underneath and tucked in the corner. The hay on the bottom got soiled on too so I think having it hang horizontally works much better. The boys eat from the sides or from underneath through the gaps of the grid.

This is similar to how I had it:
c9343bbca13620ca3c2936c6e5af49f5--guinea-pig-toys-guinea-pig-cages.jpg

Now I have it similar to this:

image-5-200x300.jpg

SnickersRumbles

Cavy Slave
i find the hay ball to be a really good hay feeder and leaves less of a mess on my floor. also it makes a great toy for the piggies because they are always moving it aroung with their nose

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately hay balls are dangerous and not recommended. More than a few pigs have become trapped in them, I would steer clear of them.

PiggyWiggly

Cavy Slave
this is what i use...its and under shlef hing with a piece of coro to make a back then hung over the grids in the cage...side slots allow easy access to hay but small enough they cant get stuck or anything(space between side slots are slightly smaller then the grid holes). mine also get hay piles to play and eat in

piggy hay rack.jpg

Mousewife

Cavy Slave
I am currently using a bird suet feeder. The squares are slightly smaller than the squares on my c&c cage. It’s not really big, but does the job. Best part is, it’s easy to fill without making a mess. I open it up inside the hay box, fill it and close it in the hay, then hang it back in the cage. I hang it up with a carabiner clip.

I can’t take a picture right now because the cage is downstairs and I am not (and am feeling too lazy to go down). I got it for $1.25 at the dollar store. It’s a small one. I fill it in the morning and before bed. I could probably find a slightly larger one for a few dollars more and have to fill it less often, but I don’t mind. It’s the tidiest solution i have found so far. They have succeeded in turning everything else into hay beds. This one makes them work just hard enough for it that they eat it and don’t mess around ;).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.